TMHS 346: Top 10 Healthy Travel Tips + Science-Based Reasons You Need To Travel More
Hopefully, by now, you have a lot of powerful tools in your superhero utility belt—smart sleep habits, an exercise routine that you love, mindfulness, and a well-rounded diet that supports your goals. But have you ever thought about travel as a way to enrich your overall health and wellness? We know that vacations can be relaxing, but science shows us that traveling actually has many health-affirming benefits.
Travel has been associated with lower rates of heart disease, better mental health, and a greater sense of connectedness. That being said, being away from home and out of your regular routine can take its toll on your body in the short-term. Traveling has been shown to negatively impact your immune system, digestion, sleep schedule, and skin.
Today you’re going to learn how to be your best self while traveling. This episode is loaded with ten practical tips you can use to support your body while you’re on the road. You’re going to learn about establishing good sleep habits away from home, how to optimize your digestion, and more. These ten habits have helped me immensely, and I hope you will put them to good use as well so you can feel your best while away from home.
In this episode you’ll discover:
- The link between traveling and heart health.
- How traveling can make your relationships stronger and more satisfying.
- The truth about airplane air.
- Why you should always keep a water bottle with you.
- How jet lag and time changes can affect your microbiome.
- Examples of resistant starches (and how they can help you while traveling).
- When to take digestive enzymes.
- How to support your microbiome when you travel.
- Why you should set up a sleep sanctuary wherever you go.
- How melatonin usage can backfire, and when it’s appropriate to use.
- Ways to avoid constipation while traveling.
- How the Puborectalis muscle works.
- Why you should eat two serving of leafy greens every day.
- How to find healthy meals while you’re away from home.
- What kyphosis is.
- How to support your body’s structure after a long flight or drive.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- Onnit.com/Model⇐ Get your optimal health & performance supplements at 10% off!
- Squatty Potty ⇐ Exclusive 15% off the Squatty Potty!
- Organifi.com/Model ⇐ Use the coupon code MODEL for 20% off!
- Hydration and Water Masterclass – Episode 73
- The Microbiome Solution – With Dr. Robynne Chutkan - Episode 180
- Your Body’s Hidden Fat Loss System with Dr. Alan Christianson – Episode 332
- The Surprising Connection Between Your Microbiome And Your Lifespan With Guest Dr. Steven Gundry - Episode 336
- Improve Your Digestion, Assimilation, and Elimination – Episode 41
- Sleep Smarter by Shawn Stevenson
Thank you so much for checking out this episode of The Model Health Show. If you haven’t done so already, please take a minute and leave a quick rating and review of the show on Apple Podcasts by clicking on the link below. It will help us to keep delivering life-changing information for you every week!