TMHS 389: How Your Posture Affects Your Brain & The Surprising Science Of Play - With Guest Aaron Alexander
“We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” – George Bernard Shaw
When was the last time you engaged in play? On some level, kids (and even animals!) understand the release that comes with play, but as adults, we tend to overlook and neglect its importance. Adults need to play too, and studies show that playing can influence the expression of over 1200 genes in our brains.
Playing can be an effective way to destress from your hectic lifestyle, stimulate your creativity, and improve your relationships. This concept is highlighted in Aaron Alexander’s new book, The Align Method. Today Aaron is sharing how often overlooked concepts like play, posture, and alignment can have far-reaching impacts on our overall health.
You’ll learn about exercises you can use to feel your best, the link between posture and emotions, and the power of cultivating a physical relationship with yourself. I hope this interview inspires you to think differently about how the subtle things you do every day can impact your health and happiness. Enjoy!
In this episode you’ll discover:
- How Aaron’s insecurities got him interested in health, and how his motive has shifted.
- Why changing your environment can have a powerful impact on your well-being.
- How your posture can mirror your emotions.
- What mechanotransduction is.
- The importance of play for human happiness.
- Examples of positions the body naturally wants to experience.
- The link between social engagement and the body’s autonomic nervous system.
- How play teaches us about boundaries and respect.
- What neuroception, interoception, and proprioception are.
- A simple exercise you can use to observe your internal world.
- The power of listening to your body.
- Why you should think of your body like a cell phone.
- What proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation is.
- The power of cultivating a physical relationship with yourself.
- Why the term “monkey bars” is a misnomer.
- What practicing hanging can do for your body’s functionality.
- How harboring shame can limit you.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- Onnit.com/model ⇐ Get your optimal health & performance supplements at 10% off!
- Organifi.com/Model ⇐ Use the coupon code model for 20% off!
- Finite and Infinite Games by James Carse
- Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl
- Muscles and Meridians by Phillip Beach
- Where to Invade Next by Michael Moore
- Shoulder Pain by Dr. John Kirsch
- Get Rid of a Headache in 30, Exercise Makes You Smarter – Episode 30
- The Align Method by Aaron Alexander
- Connect with Aaron Alexander Podcast / Instagram
Be sure you are subscribed to this podcast to automatically receive your episodes:
Join TMHS Facebook community - Model Nation