TMHS 395: The Amazing Connection Between Fungi, Skin Health, And Weight Loss - With Guest Tero Isokauppila
When you hear the term “medicinal mushroom,” you might think it’s just another health buzzword. But the truth is, mushrooms were used by our ancestors for medicinal uses for many generations. The fungi kingdom has far-reaching benefits—including gut and skin health, immune function, cognitive ability, and longevity.
There’s no one better to learn about the power of adaptogenic mushrooms from than Tero Isokauppila. Tero is the founder of Four Sigmatic, a wellness company dedicated to elevating your existing routines with superfood medicinal mushrooms. If you’re a longtime listener of The Model Health Show, you know I’m a huge proponent of incorporating these products into your routine.
Today you’re going to learn about how edible superfood skincare can upgrade the health of your skin. You’ll hear about the power that ingestible products have to support a topical skincare routine, why mushrooms are the hottest trend in skincare, and how to make small, sustainable changes to your health. Tero is bringing tons of knowledge to this episode, so be sure to listen in and take good notes on the powerful benefits of fungi!
In this episode you’ll discover:
- Why it can be so difficult to convince children to try new foods.
- What the four biological kingdoms are.
- Why nutrition can’t be simplified into a binary of good vs. bad.
- The three major groups of fungi.
- How medicinal mushrooms can affect the microbiome and weight management.
- Which fungi is known as the queen of mushrooms.
- The connection between mushroom consumption and gut health.
- How reishi can affect sleep patterns.
- What adaptogens are and how they can increase calmness in the body.
- Why you shouldn’t aim for perfection with your health goals.
- How medicinal mushrooms can improve skin health.
- The truth about absorption of personal care products.
- How Asian skincare has infiltrated the Western world.
- Why black foods are incredible for longevity.
- The importance of salt for human health.
- A conversation on topical beauty vs. ingestible beauty.
- How to identify quality mushroom products.
- What dual extraction is, and why it matters.
- The two processes that mushrooms need to be bioavailable.
- How coffee contributes to longevity (and some of its drawbacks)!
- Why Lion’s Mane can balance out the overstimulation of caffeine.
- Where the name Four Sigmatic originated from.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- Foursigmatic.com/model ⇐ Get 15% off your daily health elixirs and coffee!
- How to Use Strategy to Crush Your Goals with Steve Weatherford – Episode 385
- Healing Mushrooms by Tero Isokauppila
- Santa Sold Shrooms by Tero Isokauppila
- Sleep Smarter by Shawn Stevenson
- Connect with Four Sigmatic Facebook / Instagram
Be sure you are subscribed to this podcast to automatically receive your episodes:
Join TMHS Facebook community - Model Nation