TMHS 399: How Your Zip Code Can Control Your Health & How To Fix Our Food System - With Dr. Mark Hyman
There are so many afflictions in our modern world that people suffer from—chronic illness, poverty, obesity, violence, mental health, to name a few. But what if we could solve these problems and create a healthier, happier world by simply changing one thing? That’s the exact philosophy behind Dr. Mark Hyman’s new book, Food Fix.
On today’s show, Dr. Hyman is back on The Model Health Show to share how changing the way we eat can transform the most important issues our society faces today. This interview is a deep dive into how our food system has the capacity to transform lives, save the environment, shut down social injustices, and so much more.
You’re going to learn about how the food system targets and harms our children, how malnutrition drives chronic disease and inflammation, plus simple changes you can make to shift our food system. The impacts of this manifesto are widespread, and this information is applicable to all of us. So listen in, take good notes, and enjoy this interview with the one and only, Dr. Mark Hyman!
In this episode you’ll discover:
- Why our relationship with food is uniquely intimate.
- How the food system impacts many of our world’s problems.
- The staggering trends of obesity statistics in the US.
- One powerful, simple habit shift you can implement to reduce food waste.
- How soil depletion changes our food quality.
- The difference between dirt and soil.
- What crop rotation is, and why it’s important for soil health.
- How regenerative farming can solve our food problems.
- The importance of biodiversity and food.
- How our microbiome and soil are interconnected.
- The problem with big food and funding.
- How a poor diet affects children’s brains.
- The issue with targeted ads in minority populations.
- Why our brain needs certain nutrients to optimally function.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- Onnit.com/model ⇐ Get your optimal health & performance supplements at 10% off!
- Beekeepersnaturals.com/model ⇐ Get 15% off raw honey & other natural remedies!
- Food Fix by Mark Hyman, MD
- The Soil and Health by Albert Howard
- Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder
- Brain Wash by David Perlmutter, MD & Austin Perlmutter, MD
- Connect with Dr. Mark Hyman Website / Podcast / Facebook / Instagram
Be sure you are subscribed to this podcast to automatically receive your episodes:
Join TMHS Facebook community - Model Nation