TMHS 400: How Neuroscience Is Transforming Psychiatry & The End Of Mental Illness - With Guest Dr. Daniel Amen
Mental illness has been stigmatized in society since the beginning of time. And although society as a whole is becoming more educated and compassionate about this issue, we still have a long way to go in terms of changing the paradigm around mental illness. Today’s guest is leading the charge on this issue.
Dr. Daniel Amen is a psychiatrist, speaker, 10-time New York Times bestselling author, and one of my great teachers in life. Today he’s back on The Model Health Show to share the paradigm-shifting information from his new book, The End of Mental Illness. This information encompasses everything from improving the health of the brain to alter your emotions to physically shifting the way your body operates through brain health.
Your brain dictates your behavior, the way you see the world around you, and your overall health. I hope Dr. Amen’s insights will inspire you to change the way you think about mental health and begin taking steps toward creating and sustaining a healthier brain. Enjoy!
In this episode you’ll discover:
- How Dr. Amen became interested in medical imaging.
- The problem with the term “mental illness.”
- How deprivation can lead to issues with the brain.
- What SPECT imaging is, and the three things we can learn from its results.
- How improving brain health can make therapy more effective.
- A brief history of psychology treatments.
- What the different brain types are, and how they operate.
- Signs of low blood flow to the brain.
- The difference between animal-based and plant-based omega 3’s.
- How to know if there’s inflammation in your body, and how to reduce it.
- What a mind storm is.
- How traumatic events can actually change your brain.
- What percentage of Americans are diabetic or prediabetic.
- The correlation between body weight and blood flow to the brain.
- Why sleep is so important for brain health.
- Three strategies to take care of your brain.
- The four circles of the BRIGHT MINDS approach.
- How we can cure our society’s epidemics by focusing on brain health.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- Foursigmatic.com/model ⇐ Get 15% off your daily health elixirs and coffee!
- Organifi.com/Model ⇐ Use the coupon code model for 20% off!
- The End of Mental Illness by Daniel Amen, MD ⇐ Preorder to claim your gifts!
- Change Your Brain, Change Your Life by Daniel Amen, MD
- Healing ADD by Daniel Amen, MD
- Memory Rescue by Daniel Amen, MD
- Change Your Brain, Change Your Body by Dr. Daniel Amen, MD
- The Daniel Plan by Daniel Amen, MD
- Amen Clinics
- Justin Bieber: Seasons
- The Surprising Connection Between Your Purpose & Success – Episode 380
- Connect with Dr. Daniel Amen Website / Facebook / Twitter
Be sure you are subscribed to this podcast to automatically receive your episodes:
Join TMHS Facebook community - Model Nation