TPJ 11: Is Sleep Training Cruel? Or Crucial?
I'm sharing my experience and thoughts on sleep training so you can hopefully feel calm, cool, and confident in offering your child the best sleep. I hope you can listen to this episode in its entirety, because this is a nuanced and triggering topic that deserves in depth conversation. I wouldn't want you to miss the full context of the ideas presented here.
- [1:20 ] Giveaway winner!
- [4:47 ] 2 Emails I received from concerned parents
- [11:02 ] We’re all torn over the approach to helping our babies sleep better.
- [21:00 ] Every child is different and much of their temperament is “baked in” (they’re born with it).
- [23:59 ] Flaws with thinking that there’s only one way to do it.
- [25:34 ] What does sleep training mean?
- [27:45 ] What can be learned from nature?
- [30:24 ] What does crying mean?
- [39:34 ] Is sleep deprivation respectful?
- [42:22 ] Is frustration bad?
- [48:01 ] Is it all or nothing?
- [49:48 ] The process with my last child.
- [55:29 ] We have to trust ourselves.
- [1:01:02 ] Summary
- [1:05:19 ] What’s coming next week
Links & Resources