TPJ 34: Do the words "Leadership" and "Parenting" belong together?
Leadership and Family. How about Leadership and Parenting? Do these words go together?
When you became a parent maybe you began to feel more like a servant than a leader. Maybe you feel like you just need to keep people alive and happy, get them what they need, and be there for them.
Leadership is an act of service, but it's very different than being a servant. When we're servants we don't have a vision, but when we're leaders this is at the very crux of good leadership.
A clear vision.
In this episode we’re going to talk about leadership and how we can be effective leaders for our families. A lot of us were thrown into this parenting role without developing our skills as a leader.
- [3:46] Most of us default to what was modeled for us in our own childhood. Perhaps your own parents were permissive (weak leaders) or authoritarian (overbearing leaders).
- [7:08] Sometimes parenthood feels more like being a servant than a leader.
- [9:23] We should look to influential leaders for inspiration in our parenting.
- [11:30] We are of service to our children, but not servants to them.
- [15:12] What would it look like if we stepped into the role of being the visionary for our family?
- [17:53] Bad bosses can teach us what NOT to do.
- [21:06] Great bosses can show us what it looks like to successfully lead a group of individuals.
- [23:36] We have an obligation to create a vision for our family…and it doesn’t happen through control.
- [26:59] Children need leaders.
- [28:01] Leaders keep themselves together. They don’t melt down on those they lead.
- [30:06] We have to be willing to make hard choices, often with imperfect information, and deal with the conflict or consequences.
If you enjoyed this episode and it inspired you in some way, I’d love to hear about it and know your biggest takeaway. Take a selfie of you listening or a screenshot of the show, post it to Instagram stories, and tag me @parentingjunkie or feel free to DM me on Instagram, I try to reply to as many as I can!
Are you subscribed to my podcast? Subscribe here so that fresh episodes are delivered directly to you.
Those shiny 5-star ratings and sweet reviews have me all gushy, thank you. But more importantly, they help other parents discover the Parenting Junkie Show and spread the word about Loving parenting and Parenting from Love. If you have a moment to spare, those reviews mean the world to me, you can leave one here.
Want to connect to like-minded parenting junkies?
Join our (free & awesome) FB community Love Parenting with Avital.
Links & Resources