TPJ 38: Playful Parenting
Have you ever seen a parent who really knows how to connect with kids? I think we all know someone who knows how to get them laughing and win them over with ease. One who can speak to kids at their level, calm them down when they get a little crazy or help them feel better when they’re upset.
My brother is like this and it’s amazing to watch him in action. I wish it came as naturally to me as it does to him. Can you relate?
In this episode, we’re talking about what playful parenting is, why it works, and how you can incorporate it into your life right now.
- [4:48 ] Playfulness is a superpower when it comes to interacting with children.
- [6:58 ] Responding to a situation playfully not only calms our children down but also calms ourselves down.
- [8:16 ] Play is how children learn, communicate feelings, connect with others, and deal with stressful situations.
- [9:45 ] Playfulness can help children express complex emotions.
- [11:05 ] Children can learn how to overcome fear when we role-play and teach them how to “talk” to fear.
- [11:55 ] Teach them to overcome shyness.
- [12:36 ] Teach them about diversity and being kind to people who are different.
- [13:21 ] Prepare them for a difficult situation, like going to the doctor.
- [15:25 ] Help them learn how to deal with sibling rivalry.
- [17:06 ] Use play to get their cooperation and diffuse power struggles...like when you’re in a rush to go somewhere and your child is moving very slowly.
- [18:49 ] Become contrary and silly about something you want them to do (like washing their hands with soap).
- [20:14 ] When they’re resisting you, try the “full agreement” game.
- [22:25 ] Additional ideas
Playful parenting has so much potential to transform life with your children. All it takes is a little imagination and a good dose of silliness!
If you enjoyed this episode and it inspired you in some way, I’d love to hear about it and know your biggest takeaway. Take a selfie of you listening or a screenshot of the show, post it to Instagram stories, and tag me @parentingjunkie or feel free to DM me on Instagram, I try to reply to as many as I can!
Are you subscribed to my podcast? Subscribe here so that fresh episodes are delivered directly to you.
Those shiny 5-star ratings and sweet reviews have me all gushy, thank you. But more importantly, they help other parents discover the Parenting Junkie Show and spread the word about Loving parenting and Parenting from Love. If you have a moment to spare, those reviews mean the world to me, you can leave one here.
Want to connect to like-minded parenting junkies?
Join our (free & awesome) FB community Love Parenting with Avital.
Show Notes: https://www.theparentingjunkie.com/38