TPP 038a: Dr. Jenna Flowers on How to Practice Conscious Coparenting
In this episode of the Tilt Parenting Podcast, I sit down with Dr. Jenna Flowers, a licensed marriage and family therapist, author, and speaker, and the woman behind the fantastic new book, The Conscious Parent’s Guide to Coparenting: A Mindful Approach to Creating a Collaborative, Positive Parenting Plan.
Dr. Jenna’s book is aimed at helping parents who are no longer together design a healthy alliance and share their parenting responsibilities in a way that best supports their children. In our conversation, we talk about the extra considerations for those parenting differently-wired kids, kids for whom consistency and support is critical to their healthy emotional development. Dr. Jenna also explains how parents of atypical kids can foster a structured, supportive environment in both homes, as well as shares her advice for things parents can do right now to strengthen their relationship with their co-parent, whether together or apart.
Dr. Jenna Flowers is a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, Author, and Speaker. She completed her undergraduate studies at the University of Michigan. She then graduated with her MA in Spiritual Psychology from the prestigious University of Santa Monica, and Doctoral Degree in Psychology from the professional psychology school American Behavioral Studies Institute. Upon completing her Marriage and Family Therapy licensing board examinations in 2006, she has been in private practice in Newport Beach, California.
Things you’ll learn from this episode
- What exactly conscious coparenting is
- The importance of repairing hurts from our childhood in order to become more present with our own children
- How to help a child not take on responsibility or blame for their parents’ breakup
- What to do when both parents aren’t on the same page
- What a designed alliance with a coparent actually looks like
Resources mentioned for conscious coparenting
- Dr. Jenna Flowers’ personal website
- The Conscious Parent’s Guide to Coparenting by Dr. Jenna Flowers
- Brene Brown
- Samantha Ettus
- Parenting from the Inside Out: How a Deeper Self-Understanding Can Help You Raise Children Who Thrive by Dr. Dan Siegel
- Conscious Mothering Curriculum
- How Positive Discipline Can Help Children Thrive, with Casey O’Roarty of Joyful Courage (Tilt Parenting Podcast)
- What it Takes to Live a Hea
Connect with Tilt Parenting