TPP 139a: Psychologist Scott Barry Kaufman, PhD on Redefining Giftedness and Intelligence
My guest Scott Barry Kaufman PhD, a psychologist, author, and podcaster who is passionate about changing, or perhaps expanding, the way intelligence is defined and measured. In our conversation, we talk about his ideas about intelligence, potential, and what it actually takes for our children to develop into self-actualized adults.
Scott is a cognitive scientist and humanistic psychologist exploring the mind, creativity, and the depths of human potential. He is a professor at Columbia University and founder and director of the Center for the Science of Human Potential. Dr. Kaufman received a B.S. in psychology and human computer interaction from Carnegie Mellon, an M. Phil in experimental psychology from the University of Cambridge under a Gates Cambridge Scholarship, and a Ph.D. in cognitive psychology from Yale University. He is also an Honorary Principal Fellow at the University of Melbourne’s Centre for Wellbeing Science.
Dr. Kaufman hosts the The Psychology Podcast, and his writing has appeared in The Atlantic, Scientific American, Psychology Today, and Harvard Business Review. He is the author and editor of 9 books, including his latest book Transcend: The New Science of Self-Actualization.
Things you’ll learn from this episode
- Why Scott believes traditional markers of intelligence are missing the mark
- The problem with assessing for “labels” instead a child’s highest strengths
- Scott’s thoughts on how we can create a better educational model
- Why potential in our children is a “moving target”
- How gifted education as a construct has a “fixed mindset”
- Scott’s ideas for expanding the definition of intelligence through a multiple manifestations of intelligence lens
- Why we should focus on self-actualization as opposed to excellence
- What qualities we should be helping our children develop to become self-actualized
Resources mentioned for redefining giftedness
- Scott Barry Kaufman’s website
- Scott at Scientific American Magazine
- Scott’s podcast, The Psychology Podcast
- Ungifted: Intelligence Redefined by Scott Barry Kaufman
- Wired to Create: Unraveling the Mysteries of the Creative Mind by Scott Barry Kaufman
- Twice Exceptional: Supporting and Educating Bright and Creative Students with Learning Difficulties by Scott Barry Kaufman
- Scott’s TEDxZumbroRiver Talk: A New Theory of Human Intelligence
- Eye to Eye National / Marcus Soutra
- Bridges Academy
- Scott’s new Characteristics of Self-Actualization Scale