TPP 142a: Kayce Hughlett Talks About Her Differently Wired Son's Drug Addiction
My guest is Kayce Stevens Hughlett, a psychotherapist, life coach, spiritual director, and speaker, and the author of three books. Kayce and I have been friends for many years, and she was a compassionate listener and empathetic friend as I was going through some of my most challenging years with Asher. At the time, Kayce was a few years ahead in her journey with her own differently wired son, who was in his early twenties.
I wanted to bring Kayce onto the show to talk about what she and her family went through when her son, as a young teen with an ADHD diagnosis, got involved with drugs. I know that this is a possibility many parents with atypical kids fear, and in fact some listeners may be in this very situation today. Hearing Kayce tell her story and share how she not only got through it, but how her family emerged on the other side more engaged and connected, is incredibly powerful. I hope you find her story as inspiring as I do.
Kayce Stevens Hughlett started her writing career as a blogger in the early 2000’s and found her voice as a contributor to several collections and online publications. Now she is the author of three varied yet beautifully intertwined and popular books. Her 2012 nonfiction book, As I Lay Pondering: Daily Invitations To Live a Transformed Life, is a lyrical and lucid treasure that invites readers to new awakenings throughout the year. Blue: a novel, an award-winning study of three women in the Pacific Northwest, released September 10, 2015. Her journey memoir, SoulStroller: experiencing the weight, whispers, & wings of the world, was published in November 2018.
Things you’ll learn from this episode
- Kayce’s story of being the mom of “that kid” in a time when being differently wired was less acceptable
- The importance of listening to our gut in conjunction with “experts”
- Why we want to always choose from a place of love (and not fear) when making parenting decisions
- The power of community to get through difficult times with our children
- Why Kayce says that parenting Jonathan through their challenges saved her life
Resources mentioned for ADHD and drug use
- Kayce Stevens Hughlett’s website
- SoulStroller: Experiencing the Weight, Whispers, & Wings of the World by Kayce Stevens Hughlett
- Blue: A Novel by Kayce Stevens Hughlett
- As I Lay Pondering: Daily Invitations To Live a Transformed Life by Kayce Stevens Hughlett