TPP 325: Akilah Richards on Raising Free People: Unschooling as Liberation and Healing Work
I really enjoyed exploring unschooling, deschooling, freedom, and liberation with Akilah Richards, host of the Fare the Free Child podcast and author of the book Raising Free People: Unschooling as Liberation and Healing Work.
I reached out to Akilah after seeing her TED talk, which led me to her book, and then her podcast, and I knew I wanted to invite her to join me in conversation. A recurring theme in this podcast, and in Tilt, is doing our own inner work as parents, and I love how Akilah talks about relating our own reparenting to freedom, decolonization, and liberation.
Akilah shares her personal story of going from traditional schooling to unschooling to deschooling, and how she and her husband came to consider the idea of raising free people, what that means, and how they’ve navigated the realities of making unconventional choices that can sometimes make other people uncomfortable. She also shares how they think about the success and what a fulfilled life looks like for her family, as well as how her work aimed at decolonizing parenting has resonated with people worldwide.
About my guest:
Akilah S. Richards is passionate about mindful partnerships and decolonizing parenting. She uses audio and written mediums to amplify the ways that unschooling in particular, is serving as healing grounds and liberation work for Black, non-Black Indigenous, and People of Color communities earthwide. Her celebrated unschooling podcast, Fare of the Free Child, and the numerous workshops and gatherings she has been part of, have garnered the attention of Forbes Magazine, The New York Times, Good Morning America, and most importantly, BIPOC families interested or living in more healthy, consent-based, intergenerational relationships. Her recent experiences within the intersection of privilege, parenting,and power are detailed in her latest book, Raising Free People: Unschooling as Liberation and Healing Work.
- What it means to be raising a “free child” and why it can be a threatening or uncomfortable concept for many people
- What “mad question asking” is and how parents can use it to get unstuck
- How unschooling is tied to decolonization
- What “deschooling” is versus “homeschooling” and “unschooling”
- What “confident autonomy” is and why Akilah considers that a hallmark of “success” in her children
- How Akilah and her partner dealt with the barriers (social, cultural, and more) when they chose the unschooling path for their family
- What a “savor complex” is and how it can transform the family experience
- Akilah Richard’s website
Raising Free People: Unschooling as Liberation and Healing Work by Akilah Richards
- Fare of the Free People Podcast
- Akilah’s website Schoolishness
- Akilah’s coaching offerings
- Savor Complex
- Akilah Richard TEDx Asbury Park Talk
- Shawna Murray Browne
Connect with Tilt Parenting
- Visit Tilt Parenting
- Take the free 7-Day Challenge
- Read a chapter of Differently Wired
- Follow Tilt on Twitter & Instagram
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices