TangleCast 71: Nozaki-kun and Communicating Love
Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, so what better time to talk about love? Our podcast team takes a look at one of the most popular romcom anime of recent years, Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun, and especially at the communications problem at the center of the series. Join David and Holly as they share their experiences and chat about how communication figures so prominently in relationships, both in romance and in faith.
0:53 Last episode’s Cast Question
4:06 New Cast Question
4:38 Holly’s Anime Jokes
8:47 Monthly Girls’ Nozaki-kun Discussion—Introduction
12:05 Discussion—Genre, parody, and favorite moments
18:55 Discussion—Relationships: Complications and communication
35:43 Discussion—Relationships: True selves, authentic love
46:00 Discussion—Relationships: Unrequited love
50:08 Discussion—God and Valentine’s Day blues
We want your feedback as well! Each week we ask a question on the podcast and feature your answers on the next episode. Here’s this week’s CQ (Cast Question): Tell us one of your favorite anime jokes!
- Recognize the name of the artist giving our opening bite? Rie Fu has written and sung many anime opening and closing songs, including the first Bleach ED, “Life is Like a Boat.” Twwk spoke with her about that song and other topics in an interview a year or two ago.
- We also interviewed J. Michael Tatum, the voice of Iida, referenced in our Cast Question, and received some interesting and insightful thoughts from him about faith.
- Holly wasn’t quite right about the etymology of crush—it’s a little more complicated than she explained.
- This week, David referenced John 3:16 and Romans 5:8.
- Come follow our prayer account on Twitter!
- Featured illustration by TEARなみだ (reprinted w/permission)
Featuring music by Celotron and mixed by David (all rights reserved).