Teaser: Racism in Parenting, how we can shift our bias with Mercedes Samudio
Leveling the playing field with anti-racist practices is an essential element of modern parenting. Today’s guest, Mercedes Samudio, believes that teaching your children about different cultures should be as normal as teaching them the other basics of life. She is an advocate for admitting what you don’t know and then doing the research to educate yourself and your child. She also emphasizes the importance of modeling diversity in your own life in order to pass this principle along to your child. Mercedes reassures us that the goal is not to be perfect, but to be a full human and to show your child how to be a full human too. We hope you join us!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Why it is important to acknowledge what you know and don’t know.
- How she asks clients what they know about themselves in order to share with their family.
- Why you should take advantage of online resources to research and educate yourself.
- What she tells parents she works with: as you teach your child the basics of life, teach them the basics of body parts, cultures, and more.
- How you should be honest with your children about what you don’t know.
- Modeling diversity in your own life before you teach your child about differences.
- Realizing what you are not modeling is an opportunity for you to change.
- Why it’s not about being perfect, but being mindful about your own life.
- Why the goal is to be a full human and to show your child how to be a full human as well.
“Just like with everything else I talk to parents about, you teach your child about their nose and their mouth, teach them about their body parts. You teach your children how to be polite and how to have manners, teach them about other cultures!” — Mercedes Samudio [0:01:16 ]
“When your child has questions, think, ‘do I know the answer?’ before you give it to them and say, ‘I don’t know a lot about that, but let me get some information. Maybe we can talk about it this weekend.’” — Mercedes Samudio [0:02:05 ]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Support the show (https://paypal.me/momslowdown)