Teaser: Technology and Parenting with author and #Endshameproofparenting creator Mercedes Samudio
Managing technology use and abuse is one of the toughest things that today’s parents have to navigate. In this mini episode, psychotherapist, Mercedes Samudio, shares some powerful insights into how to navigate yours and your child’s relationship with the devices in your home. She explains how the past year has changed her perspective on technology usage and tells us what she often advises parents: it’s about being intentional and not mindless about usage. Mercedes suggests using your child’s preferred technology platforms to connect and spend time together, and describes how to set guidelines and offer your child alternatives. She urges listeners that being mindful about technology needs to be for the whole family, not just the kids, and recommends that you set benchmarks according to how your family uses technology, not how a coach says you should. We hope you join us for some powerful insights today!
Key Points From This Episode:
- How the past year has changed Mercedes’ perspective on technology usage.
- What she often tells parents: it’s about being intentional and not mindless about usage.
- Using your child’s preferred technology platforms to connect and spend time together.
- How to set guidelines in the family, observe how your child uses tech, and offer alternatives.
- Why being mindful about technology needs to be for the whole family, not just the kids.
- How you should set benchmarks according to how your family uses technology and not how a coach says you should.
“What I often tell parents is this: it’s about being intentional about the time you spend [on technology]. If you do spend time watching Netflix or playing video games, are you being intentional or is it just mindless? Everyone needs outlets to veg out.” — Mercedes Samudio [0:00:46 ]
“If I know my child loves video games, can we intentionally spend time together playing video games? If I know my child loves TikTok, can we set aside some time for them to share with you their new videos that they found or some of the videos they’re doing?” — Mercedes Samudio [0:01:10 ]
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:Support the show (https://paypal.me/momslowdown)