Technology never has an off-season
Technology never stops evolving. But people needs breaks to recharge, re-evaluate and re-establish goals. So how can we balance the two?
- Cut your Cloud bills in half with Linode Linux VMs
- $100 in Free Credits at Linode
- CloudZero - Cloud Cost Intelligence for Engineering Teams
- Okta - Safe Identity for customers and workforce
- Try Okta for FREE (Trial in 10 minutes)
- [From @aneel] Tech can’t fill enough roles
- [From @splitzoneduo] What do coaches do on vacation?
- Eps.507 - 10 Lessons for Surviving in the Tech Industry
WHY DOESN’T THE TECH-INDUSTRY HAVE AN OFF-SEASON?
- It’s a business, and businesses tend to stay open
- It’s an industry that expects growth, and growth requires new things (usually)
HOW TO MANAGE THE LACK OF AN OFF-SEASON
- Nobody can go 24x7x365 year after year. Take care of your health.
- Allow yourself to ignore some aspects of the tech industry. You don’t need to know everything.
- Creating a framework for determining if something new is worth your time exploring.
- Always have a side project where you are learning something. This could be adjacent to your work, or something completely different.
- Begin to measure something that you’ve ignored, or never measured before. Find a way to improve it.
- Find a way to take back some time in your life. You can automate something, drop something, change something, etc.
- Find time to reconnect with people - mentors, groups,
- Email: show at thecloudcast dot net
- Twitter: @thecloudcastnet