The Architects of AI
Cade Metz, technology correspondent at The New York Times, joins Azeem Azhar to discuss his new book Genius Makers. In it, he tells the story of the pioneers who brought AI out of academic labs, sparking a Big Tech arms race and transforming our everyday lives.
They also discuss:
- How deep learning went from an unworkable concept to fueling the AI boom.
- Why bias and prejudice “baked in” to an AI system are almost impossible to remove.
- Which early signals tech giants followed to develop AI even before deep learning went mainstream.
- Genius Makers (Cade Metz, 2021)
- “DeepMind’s Journey from Games to Fundamental Science” (Exponential View podcast with Demis Hassabis, 2020)
- “How GPT-3 Is Shaping Our AI Future” (Exponential View podcast with Sam Altman, 2020)
- “An AI Pioneer Explains the Evolution of Neural Networks” (Wired, 2019)