The Key To Healing Long-COVID With Functional Medicine with Dr. Leo Galland
The amount of information we hear about COVID on a daily basis can be pretty overwhelming. I feel that this episode of The Doctor’s Farmacy is one of the most important ones I’ve done on this topic because it’s an incredible resource for understanding how to prevent and treat COVID using a comprehensive systems approach. It’s about how to heal on the cellular level. My guest is someone who has had an immense impact on my own health and my career in Functional Medicine.
Dr. Leo Galland is one of the most incredible resources on COVID and long-COVID syndrome. He is a board-certified internist, practicing in New York City, is recognized as a world leader in Functional Medicine, and a pioneer in the study of intestinal permeability and the gut microbiome as they impact immune function and systemic health. Since the onset of the pandemic, Dr. Galland has devoted most of his time to research on COVID-19 and to the education of other health practitioners in understanding the complex biology of the disease.
This episode is brought to you by ButcherBox, Athletic Greens, and Joovv.
New members to ButcherBox can get a free turkey with their first box at butcherbox.com/farmacy.
Athletic Greens is offering my listeners 10 free travel packs of AG1 when you make your first purchase at athleticgreens.com/hyman.
For a limited time, Joovv is offering $50 off your first order with the code FARMACY at Joovv.com/FARMACY. Some exclusions apply.
Here are more of the details from our interview (audio version / Apple Subscriber version):
- What is “long-COVID” and what symptoms are most associated with it? (8:51 / 4:51 )
- Upwards of 30% of individuals who have contracted COVID-19 may develop long-COVID (15:28 / 12:25 )
- The groups most at risk for developing long-COVID (29:28 / 24:36 )
- The COVID, gut, and heart health connection (33:07 / 28:21 )
- Eating to protect against and recover from COVID and long-COVID (42:59 / 38:09 )
- Supplements and probiotics to protect against and recover from COVID and long-COVID (46:29 / 40:28 )
- Restoring mitochondrial function after COVID-19 infection (55:20 / 50:21 )
- Chronic fatigue, POTS, and COVID-19 infection (1:01:55 / 57:03 )
- Are the Covid vaccines protective against long-COVID? (1:10:33 / 1:05:46 )
- Dr. Galland’s perspective on COVID vaccines (1:12:35 / 1:07:44 )
Mentioned in this episode:
Dr. Galland’s The Gut Microbiome in Covid-19
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.