The Leadership Journey Podcast: Dave Burke
My guest today on the podcast is Dave Burke. Dave lives in Sunderland where he provides mental health first aid training (see his website for more on this). Previously Dave has helped lead several churches in various parts of England, including Leicester and his native Sunderland.
In our conversation Dave traces the various stages of his leadership journey, from his conversion as a student in Swansea through his path into Christian ministry. We talk about team ministry (‘the best ministry flows from friendship’) and Dave talks about people who have influenced him along the way.
He also talks about what he would say to his 20 year old self:
- Be wary of an independent streak: the Christian life is a tension between taking responsibility but also relying on God;
- Invest in deep friendships (and don’t let them go);
- Invest in small habits that appear to make little difference day to day, but make a significant difference over time;
- Don’t be quick to dismiss what you judge not to be properly Christian;
- Remember that theologians are great teachers but poor listeners.
Dave has agreed to write a guest blog post on this theme over the next couple of weeks.