The New Western States F2 | Ailsa MacDonald
Today we welcome Ailsa MacDonald back to the podcast to talk about her recent performance at Western States Endurance Run, where she finished an impressive second female and 15th overall. Her previous performance at Western States in 2018 earned her a 45th overall finish and provided her with some wisdom and unfinished business. She returned this year stronger and wiser than ever and took everyone (except us!) by surprise as she worked her way up the field to finish very very strongly.
In this episode we talk about some of the keys to her success including:
- Going into the race very rested which included not running at all for a week when all her competitors were peaking
- Going in well nourished and not underweight
- Having a race plan that involved a 90 mile warm up and a 10 mile effort
- Running completely within herself in zone 1-2 the entire race
- Trekking all the hills
- Practicing patience and humility
Ailsa is one strong and grounded elite ultrarunner who at age 41 still has many great performances left in her. Her top 3 finish at Western States earns her an automatic entry to both Western States and UTMB next year. Keep listening to find out what her plans are for 2023!
Connect with Ailsa :
Connect with Carolyn & Kim: