The Road to Autonomous Vehicles: Are We There Yet?
Self-driving cars have been on the horizon for quite some time. But, they might actually be here.
We got to ride around in one all over San Francisco with Waymo’s Chief Product Officer, Saswat Panigrahi.
We discussed so much, including the five levels of autonomy, the infamous LIDAR vs video debate, regulation, UX, and the role of AI in fine-tuning these models. But most importantly, if autonomy is here… now what?!
- 00:00 - Introduction
- 03:20 - A first look at Waymo
- 05:21 - 5 levels of autonomy
- 09:45 - Technology challenges
- 14:32 - LiDAR vs video debate
- 18:19 - How Waymo differentiates
- 19:01 - Technological unlocks on the horizon
- 20:39 - The role of AI in autonomous vehicles
- 25:37 - How Waymo views safety
- 32:05 - Collaborating with regulators
- 37:26 - Learnings from the first 2m miles
- 39:45 - Driving user retention
- 43:47 - Waymo’s expansion strategy
- 47:00 - Changing regulation
- 47:41 - Societal unlocks enabled by autonomy
- 52:21 - Will self-driving cars replace humans?
- 52:58 - Closing thoughts
Check out Waymo: https://waymo.com/
Check out Waymo's Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@Waymo
Find Saswat on Twitter: https://twitter.com/saswat101
Check out a16z's 8-part series on the autonomous vehicle ecosystem: https://a16z.com/2018/02/03/autonomy-ecosystem-frank-chen-summit/
Find a16z on Twitter: https://twitter.com/a16z
Find a16z on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/a16z
Subscribe on your favorite podcast app: https://a16z.simplecast.com/
Follow our host: https://twitter.com/stephsmithio
Please note that the content here is for informational purposes only; should NOT be taken as legal, business, tax, or investment advice or be used to evaluate any investment or security; and is not directed at any investors or potential investors in any a16z fund. a16z and its affiliates may maintain investments in the companies discussed. For more details please see a16z.com/disclosures.