The Value of Value-Stream Mapping
Steve Pereira (@SteveElsewhere, Value-Stream Whisperer @ Visible) talks about measuring, understanding business and technology process through Value-Stream Mapping.
SHOW SPONSOR LINKS:
- See how O’Reilly online learning can help your tech teams. Request a free demo now.
- Get started with the JumpCloud Directory Platform today
- Visit the JumpCloud Homepage.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org for a FREE JumpCloud T-Shirt.
- Datadog Security Monitoring Homepage: Modern Monitoring and Analytics
- Try Datadog yourself by starting a free, 14-day trial today. Listeners of this podcast will also receive a free Datadog T-shirt.
- Visible (homepage) - Value Stream Consulting
- Steve Pereira’s homepage
- Steve’s 4x4 Method of DevOps Traction
- Value Stream Link - Value Stream resources
Topic 1 - Welcome to the show. Tell us a little bit about your background and how you eventually became focused on helping companies improve their Value-Streams.
Topic 2 - Let’s start by talking about Value-Streams and Mapping. What are they, why do we need them, what do they provide?
Topic 3 - Walk us through a Value-Stream-Mapping exercise with a company. What is their pre-homework? What questions do you ask? How do you keep it focused on their language?
Topic 4 - Do you need to fix everything at once, or can it be done in phases? How much of the improvement has to do with the application, and how much is adjusting existing processes?
Topic 5 - Lots of people like to compare this to Lean Manufacturing (Toyota Production System, Six Sigma, etc.). Optimize the system, design for efficient flows, empower the workers to make changes and give feedback, etc. But does this break with software, where there isn’t really an end to a production line?
Topic 6 - Once people understand it, what tends to work well and what tends to lead to on-going failures?
- Email: show at thecloudcast dot net
- Twitter: @thecloudcastnet