The hottest Australian whiskies, with Luke McCarthy
A podcast for lovers of wine, craft beer, liquor (incl. whisky, whiskey, bourbon, vodka tequila etc) and cocktails, Drinks Adventures hosts wine makers, brewing and distilling experts, sommeliers, bartenders & more.
Australian whisky is set for another massive year in 2022.
And I’m sure that just like me, you want to know which are the hottest distilleries we should be looking out for, and insights into trends such as wine vs bourbon cask maturation.
Luke McCarthy is founder of Oz Whisky Review, an independent online magazine comprising Australian whisky reviews, news and features.
He’s with us this episode to reflect on Oz Whisky Review’s Top Ten Australian whiskies of last year, and the biggest debut releases expected in the coming months.
You may also like:
- The NBA’s wine obsession, with Baxter Holmes of ESPN: S10E1
- UK wine writer Matthew Jukes on non-alc wine & more: S12E1
- Brewing legend Chuck Hahn's 50-year global brewing odyssey: S11E2
- Iconic cocktails: Julio Bermejo, creator Tommy’s Margarita cocktail: S4E8
If you’re new round these parts, most of the brands we discuss this episode have previously appeared on the show: Bakery Hill, Heartwood / TIB, The Gospel, Starward, Morris, Overeem and Backwoods.
Clearly the Oz Whiskey Review team have impeccable taste, so first up I asked Luke about the criteria they follow in putting their list together.
More must-listen episodes:
- Two Paddocks wine with Sam Neill, pinot noir obsessive: S6E6
- Wine critic Jancis Robinson on the changing world of wine: S4E4
- Brewing historian Tara Nurin, and beer sensory expert Briony Liebich: S11E6
- Cocktails meet coffee with Mr Black Spirits: S8E5
Tags: gin, distilling, distillery, distiller, liquor, craft spirits, cocktail, cocktails, drink, drinks, wine, winemaking, winemaker, viticulture, beer, craft beer, brewing, agave, tequila, mezcal, bartender, bartenders, sommelier, sommeliers, cicerone, whisky, whiskey, cognac, bourbon, vodka, vineyard, mixology, bars, pubs, restaurants
Download from Google Play
Download from App Store