The impact of Psychedelics on Memory Processing | Maria Balaet ~ ATTMind 123
Maria Balaet is on the show to talk about the impact of psychedelics on memory processing, the neuropharmacology of memory, the interplay of memory and personal consciousness, and the ethics of memory modulation with psychedelics.
For links to Maria Balaet's work, full show notes, and to watch this episode in video, head to https://bit.ly/ATTMind123
***Full Topics Breakdown Below***
--- SUPPORT THIS PODCAST —
This episode's Sponsor: https://www.jameswjesso.com/formula
Use promo code "jesso" to get 20% off your first order.
► Newsletter: https://www.jameswjesso.com/newsletter
*** Extra BIG thanks to my patrons on Patreon for helping keep this podcast alive! Especially, Andreas D, Clea S, Dean H, Joe A, Andy D, Ian C, David WB, Don J, Yvette FC, Ann-Madeleine, Dima B, & Chuck W
- Foundational concepts of memory, brain, and consciousnesses
- Neural Darwinism
- Memory as an operation of the brain
- Memory is not just about remembering things
- Encoding, consolidation, retrieval (and reconsolidation)
- Implicit vs explicit memory
- Different theories of memory retrieval
- The pharmacological mechanism of memory consolidation
- The malleability of memory over time - how memory is liable to disruption
- The memory of meaning
- The neurobiology of memory
- The impact of psychedelics on memory processing
- Her research using a ketamine analog to disrupt the reconsolidation process
- Psychedelics as memory modulators
- How we can use psychedelics therapeutically to change memory
- Research with ketamine to alter memory cues around alcoholism
- The dangers of at-home efforts to alter memory resulting in accidental self-harm
- Psychedelic brainwashing and malicious intent
- Differing psychedelics, different neuropharmacology, different memory modulation?
- The fleeting memories of DMT, dream recall, and state-dependent learning
- Is it possible to increase our ability to remember our psychedelic experiences?
- The role of glutamate in memory and how different psychedelics pharmacologically change that process (LSD vs ketamine)
- Maria's upcoming research on how people's cognition under psychedelics compares to the average sober population