The reality of PhDs and vocal pedagogy with Dr Marisa Lee Naismith
Ever wondered what it's like to do a PhD in vocal pedagogy? Or how that PhD might translate into teaching singing?
Want to know exactly why we think classical vocal training doesn't work for contemporary commercial music singers?
We go deep with Dr Marisa Lee Naismith, author of Singing Contemporary Commercial Music Styles, a pedagogical framework:
- How difficult is it to juggle the work of a PhD, family life and a full-time business? Marisa and Gillyanne compare notes (3.00)
- Why is CCM pedagogy still not thought of as legitimate? Marisa gives us the background (9.00)
- What is the single biggest difference between classical and CCM music, and therefore the biggest requirement for teaching CCM singers that classical teachers don't usually do? Jeremy shares his thoughts. (16.50)
- Marisa prods Jeremy about bias - what's his answer? (18.30)
- What is the 1% that Marisa is talking about, and what was the survey Gillyanne & Jeremy did that confirms it? (26.40)
- And what IS the job of a singing teacher? Marisa reveals her take on what needs to happen in a singing lesson.
It's a fascinating conversation, and this is just part 1!
Drop in and join us
Get Marisa's book here https://amzn.to/3EG7O3p
Get the This Is A Voice book here https://amzn.to/3A9steN
Get the One Minute Voice Warmup app here, it's got a 4.9star rating
Google Play https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=co.speechtools.warmup&hl=en_GB&pli=1
We've also got this! ↓
The 5 Days to Better Singing Teaching course online, with voice coaching techniques, vocal articulation exercises and a LOT more for the up-to-date singing teacher is here https://vocal-process-hub.teachable.com/p/5-days-to-better-singing-teaching
For the best self-guided learning check out the Vocal Process Learning Lounge - 16 years of vocal coaching resources (over 600 videos) for less than the price of one private singing lesson. Click and scroll down the page for the free previews
For real 1-1 attention on your own voice, book a voice coaching session in the singing studio with Jeremy or Gillyanne
If you want to discover if our singing teacher training programme works for YOU, message us - we can share the process for joining Cohort23.
Sign up for the Vocal Process newsletter https://vocalprocess.co.uk/build-your-own-tilting-larynx/
Check out our brand new Voice Journal, written with Rayvox's Oren Boder
Find us - follow us on the socials!
🐦 Twitter - https://twitter.com/Vocalprocess
📸 Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/vocalprocess
📖 Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/vocalprocess
#thisisavoice #vocalcoach #singingteacher #voice