Therapy & Theology: Relational realities with a narcissist
A note from Proverbs 31 Ministries: The content in this podcast covers the topic of “narcissism.”
Narcissism is a personality disorder that requires a medical diagnosis. Proverbs 31 Ministries does not condone labeling another person with a personality disorder. Please see the links below if you need help finding a Christian counselor.
In the last episode of The Proverbs 31 Ministries Podcast, you heard Lysa TerKeurst, her personal licensed counselor Jim Cress, and Proverbs 31 Ministries director of theology Joel Muddamalle unpack the topic of “narcissism.”
You might have finished the episode thinking, okay … so what do I do if I’m in a relationship with a narcissist?
In this episode, Lysa, Jim and Joel discuss how to have a confrontational conversation with a narcissist — without being too confrontational. As a reminder, these episodes are not to victimize a person who struggles with narcissism, but rather to shed light on this very real and often overlooked topic in the Christian world.
- Be reminded that God is the only One who can handle worship from man, and we cannot label or define Him based on what He does or doesn’t do on our behalf.
- Learn that compassion and healthy boundaries are necessary if you are in a marriage, family or working relationship with a narcissist.
- Understand how to have a constructive conversation with a person who has narcissistic tendencies, and when it’s time to set stronger boundaries or even end the relationship.
- Lysa TerKeurst’s latest Bible study, Trustworthy, releases November 12, 2019. In this 6-session study on 1 & 2 Kings, you can join Lysa in Israel via video as she honestly reveals the places of distrust in her own heart while exploring the deeply personal, applicable Scriptures that will teach us how to truly trust God. Order your copy of the study through Proverbs 31 Ministries today!
- For further reading on narcissism, Lysa and Jim recommend The Wizard of Oz and other Narcissists and The Object of My Affection is in My Reflection. Please note, these are not biblically-based books but would be helpful if you’re struggling to cope with a narcissist.
- If you need help processing tough trust issues, we recommend finding a Christian counselor you can trust. The American Association of Christian Counselors is a resource you can trust to find the right counselor for your specific circumstances.
Click here to download the transcript for this episode.