Time is Money, Build a Budget
The Big B’s: Budget Basics
In this episode, herdacious host Lorelei chats with Raya Reaves to discuss all things budgeting. We all love to treat ourselves and Raya is no exception -- she shares her learned experience about how we can continue to indulge in ourselves while being mindful of our financial commitments. From prioritizing accrued debt to teaching us the difference between profits and income, Raya spills the beans on how to feel financially empowered by setting our budgets. Whip out your good old pen and paper, strap in with some coffee, and let’s get budgeting!
Host: Lorelei Gonzalez
Co-host: Raya Reaves
Raya Reaves is the founder and financial consultant for City Girl Savings, a free online community where women are free to discuss finances, fashion and beauty. Since 2016, Raya has provided one-on-one coaching, created over 70 personalized budget portfolios for clients who want to get on financial track, and currently creates online learning courses and guides to help women everywhere.
Things you will learn in this episode (chapter markers available):
- Why start budgeting? 2:00
- Warning signs and misconceptions 6:00
- Normalizing the process 7:30
- Know your budget 10:00
- Discretionary spending (and then some) 14:20
- Protect yourself: savings and conquering debt 19:00
- Tips and tools for financial empowerment 23:00
- Femme fact: Bloch pointe shoes 28:27
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- The 21-Day Financial Fast by Michelle Singletary (book)
- The Spender’s Guide to Debt-Free Living by Anna Newell Jones (book)
- The Richest Man in Babylon by George Clason (book)
- Mint (budgeting app)
- The Fairer Cents (podcast)
- Secrets of Wealthy Women (podcast)
- City Girl Savings: Free Resources
Looking for additional resources on this topic? Check out our blog post “How Financial Anxiety Affects Women (And How To Address It)”
For up to date information on HERdacity events, webinars, podcasts, and community activities, join our newsletter here.
Disclaimer: While we appreciate our sponsors' support in making this show possible, herdacious content is curated with integrity and honesty.
Support the show (http://herdacity.org/donate/)