Tools for Building a Sustainable Treasury Career with Larry Tolep
If the past couple of years have proven anything, it’s that change is inevitable, especially in a field as dynamic as treasury.
So, how do you build a career that will last through both good and tough times? Larry Tolep, VP of the North American Regional Treasury Center, and VP and Treasurer for Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. joins this episode to give us the lowdown.
He joined Volkswagen Group of America in 2005 as the Assistant Treasurer for the company and many of its subsidiaries. A year later, he became the Treasurer. Prior to working at Volkswagen, Larry had multiple treasury and financial management roles at both Kmart Corporation and Xerox Corporation.
Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Volkswagen AG, one of the world’s leading automobile manufacturers and the largest carmaker in Europe. Headquartered in Herndon, Virginia, the company has approximately 8,000 employees in the United States and sells its vehicles through a 1,000-strong dealer network.
On the podcast we discussed…
- How Larry discovered finance and transitioned to treasury
- What influenced Larry’s choice to move from retail to automobiles
- Why CTP is one of Larry’s passions
- The importance of knowing the right people
- How to help others achieve their career goals
- Why team leaders should embrace an honest approach
- Why you should approach interviews as a two-way street
- How Larry handled challenges that popped up in the course of his career
- The importance of being an approachable team leader
- What Larry sees in the future of treasury
You can connect with Larry on LinkedIn.