Transformational Adaptation and the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act: Now Comes the Hard Part
In episode 178 of America Adapts, we dig into the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (IIJA) as a catalyst for transformational adaptation. Joining the podcast: Adie Tomer of the Brookings Institution talks about their infrastructure resource hub; Shalini Vajjhala of re:focus partners returns to discuss how they are helping local communities be strategic in their adaptation planning and finding practical approaches for grant applications; Brandon Kay of Tempe Arizona and Tom Jacobs of the Kansas city region, discuss how their communities are using their existing adaptation planning efforts to help them apply for funds. Bonus conversations: Samantha Medlock, the General Counsel for the now sunsetted U.S. House Select Committee on the Climate Crisis and Chad Nelson from Infrastructure Canada. These experts are in the thick of climate planning and they will offer useful advice on how your community or organization and apply for this adaptation funding. If done effectively, this infrastructure funding can lead to transformational adaptation.
- What is the Infrastructure and Jobs Investment Act.
- How can local communities tap into the Act’s funding.
- The role of regional collaboration in grant applications.
- Environmental and climate justice embedded in the Act.
- The legislative history of the Investment Act.
- Infrastructure and Adaptation Resource Hub
- Adaptation in Tempe, Az and the Kansas City region.
- Infrastructure and adaptation in Canada.
Experts in this Episode:
- Adie Tomer, Senior Fellow at Brookings Metro at the Brookings Institution
- Shalini Vajjhala, Founder and CEO of Re:focus Partners
- Braden Kay, Director of Sustainability for the City of Tempe, Arizona
- Samantha Medlock, former Senior Counsel, Select Committee on the Climate Crisis at U.S. House of Representatives
- Tom Jacobs, Director, Environmental Programs, Mid-America Regional Council
- Chad Nelson, Principal Advisor for Climate Adaptation and Resilience, Infrastructure Canada
This episode was generously sponsored by the Genesee Mountain Foundation.
Check out the America Adapts Media Kit here!
Subscribe to the America Adapts newsletter here.
Innovations in Climate Resilience Conference
General email is firstname.lastname@example.org
Media inquiry contact is TR Massey email@example.com
- ICR23 Call for Abstracts: Download here
- ICR22 On-Demand: Access all proceedings, presentations, videos, and photos here
Listen to America Adapts on your favorite app here!
Facebook, Linkedin and Twitter:
Resources and Links in this episode:
Brookings Federal Infrastructure Hub
Resources mentioned by Tom Jacobs of Marc
Infrastructure Canada -- https://www.infrastructure.gc.ca/index-eng.html
Solving the Climate Crisis: Building a Vibrant and Just Clean Energy Environment
Canada’s National Adaptation Strategy
Follow on Apple Podcasts
Follow on Android
Doug Parsons and Speaking Opportunities:
If you are interested in having Doug speak at corporate and conference events, sharing his unique, expert perspective on adaptation in an entertaining and informative way, more information can be found here!
Now on Spotify!
List of Previous Guests on America Adapts
Follow/listen to podcast on Apple Podcasts.
Donate to America Adapts, we are now a tax deductible charitable organization!
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco
Strategies to Address Climate Change Risk in Low- and Moderate-income Communities - Volume 14, Issue 1
Podcasts in the Classroom – Discussion guides now available for the latest episode of America Adapts. These guides can be used by educators at all levels. Check them out here!
The 10 Best Sustainability Podcasts for Environmental Business Leaders
The best climate change podcasts on The Climate Advisor
7 podcasts to learn more about climate change and how to fight it
Directions on how to listen to America Adapts on Amazon Alexa
America Adapts also has its own app for your listening pleasure! Just visit the App store on Apple or Google Play on Android and search “America Adapts.”
Join the climate change adaptation movement by supporting America Adapts! Please consider supporting this podcast by donating through America Adapts fiscal sponsor, the Social Good Fund. All donations are now tax deductible!