Understanding COVID’s Kid Surge (with David Kimberlin)
With 180,000 reported COVID cases in kids last week alone, and school just getting started, Andy has a vital conversation with pediatric infectious disease specialist Dr. David Kimberlin about how the Delta variant has changed everything we thought we knew about children and COVID. They cover what David's seeing on the ground in his hospital in Birmingham, the latest on vaccines for kids under 12, and how to think about the incredibly complicated issue of in-person school. Plus, what parents can do to get school districts to re-think opposition to mask requirements.
Keep up with Andy on Twitter @ASlavitt and Instagram @andyslavitt.
Joining Lemonada Premium is a great way to support our show and get bonus content. Subscribe today at bit.ly/lemonadapremium.
Support the show by checking out our sponsors!
- Click this link for a list of current sponsors and discount codes for this show and all Lemonada shows: https://lemonadamedia.com/sponsors/
- Throughout the pandemic, CVS Health has been there, bringing quality, affordable health care closer to home—so it’s never out of reach for anyone. Learn more at cvshealth.com.
Check out these resources from today’s episode:
- Read David’s opinion piece in The Atlanta Journal-Constitution about the Delta varint and kids: https://www.ajc.com/opinion/opinion-delta-covid-variant-scares-this-pediatrician/G5T6QAKPCBBMVADBS4SKEVHHJ4/
- The American Academy of Pediatrics tracks COVID cases in kids here: https://www.aap.org/en/pages/2019-novel-coronavirus-covid-19-infections/children-and-covid-19-state-level-data-report/
- Learn more about what the CDC has to say about MIS-C associated with COVID-19 in children: https://www.cdc.gov/mis/mis-c.html
- Check out the study in Science that David mentioned about household COVID-19 risk and in-person schooling: https://science.sciencemag.org/content/372/6546/1092
- Listen to NIH Director Dr. Francis Collins discuss the timeline for a vaccine for kids under 12 on NPR: https://www.npr.org/sections/back-to-school-live-updates/2021/08/24/1030611406/a-vaccine-for-young-children-is-not-likely-until-the-end-of-year-nih-director-sa
- Find a COVID-19 vaccine site near you: https://www.vaccines.gov/
- Order Andy’s book, Preventable: The Inside Story of How Leadership Failures, Politics, and Selfishness Doomed the U.S. Coronavirus Response: https://us.macmillan.com/books/9781250770165
Stay up to date with us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram at @LemonadaMedia.
For additional resources, information, and a transcript of the episode, visit lemonadamedia.com/show/inthebubble.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.