Understanding the Jamstack
Matt Biilmann (@biilmann, CEO/Co-Founder @Netlify) talks about the evolution of websites, the architecture of the Jamstack, the evolution of mobile + CDNs, and interacting with 3rd-party APIs.
SHOW SPONSOR LINKS:
- Datadog Security Monitoring Homepage - Modern Monitoring and Analytics
- Try Datadog yourself by starting a free, 14-day trial today. Listeners of this podcast will also receive a free Datadog T-shirt.
- BMC Wants to Know if your business is on its A-Game
- BMC Autonomous Digital Enterprise
- CloudAcademy -Build hands-on technical skills. Get measurable results.
- Get 50% of the monthly price of CloudAcademy by using code CLOUDCAST
- Jamstack (homepage)
- Netlify (homepage)
- Netlify Edge Handlers (run code at the CDN edge)
- The debate between Wordpress and Jamstack about the future of websites
Topic 1 - Welcome to the show. You’ve been trying to make websites easier for quite a while. Tell us a little bit about your background and what motivates you about Netlify.
Topic 2 - Let’s start by talking about how the web is consumed these days; what’s broken, and how are you trying to make it better?
Topic 3 - What is Jamstack? How much is language, how much is frameworks, how much is architecture, and how much is a different way to think about Websites/Content/CMS?
Topic 4 - So we have this website content distributed out to the CDN, how to 3rd-party APIs interact with the system (e.g. Stripe, Agolia, Twilio, AWS Lambda, etc.)?
Topic 5 - CDN’s just used to serve content, and now they are running code at the edge. How do those interactions work?
Topic 6 - You recently wrote that we might be hitting an inflection point for Websites/CMS’. Is that just a natural evolution of the distributed internet, or has anything in 2020 accelerated that?
- Email: show at thecloudcast dot net
- Twitter: @thecloudcastnet