Veritasium enters The Create Unknown
Derek Muller of the science channel Veritasium joins us to talk about his new study of the YouTube algorithm and how it helped him rocket a recent video to over 30 million views in days. We dive deep into how a conversation with MrBeast got Derek to think differently about why YouTube promotes certain videos and why others get buried. What are the implications of these changes, and how does it shape the way people consume content? Is YouTube becoming more like the music industry, where creators have greatest hits rather than consistent views?
We also talk about the unique challenges of creating educational content and how to approach topics that might not be 100% original. Along the way we touch on viral tweets, pools full of gummy bears, and the properties of the element Veritasium.
SUPPORT THE SHOW
FROM THIS EPISODE
- Veritasium Videos
- Why Are There 96,000,000 Black Balls On This Reservoir
- My Video Went Viral. Here's Why
- "The World in UV"
- "Are Negative Ions Good for You?"
- Mark Rober's Glitter Bomb Video
- MrBeast's YouTube Channel
- Vsauce2's "The Demonetization Game"
- Vsauce2's "The Invention of Blue"
- It's Okay to Be Smart's "Why Is Blue So Rare In Nature?"
- Marshall McLuhan's "The Medium is the Message"
WATCH US ON YOUTUBE
- Watch full live-action episodes at youtube.com/thecreateunknown
- Check out clips and bonus videos on our at youtube.com/TCUhighlights
JOIN OUR DISCORD
- Chat with us on The Create Unknown Discord! Join at https://discord.gg/wsD4Axr
THE CREATE UNKNOWN
- Hosted by Kevin Lieber and Matt Tabor
- Executive Producer – Dave Keine
- Theme by Mega Drive
- Edited by Adam Ganong
- Special thanks to: Paula Lieber and Mo Lewit
- Microphones and Equipment provided by Røde Microphones.
- "The Create Unknown" is produced by Triangle Content.