Waterwoman Of Wisdom, Eco Feminist Legend, Lauren Lindsey HIll
In this Episode Ash talks to Lauren L Hill a world-class Longboarder and writer. Their conversation spans a vast variety of subjects from, Surf Technique, Parenting, Wild nutrition and the Medicinal Healing powers of the Ocean and Sun.
Here's what we chatted about:
- Laurens relationship with Professional Surfing and competition
- Blogging and how Lauren began developing as a writer
- Following your passions and how the ocean and surf has transformed Laurens life
- How growing up in Florida affected her surfing
- The subtleties and technique behind Longboarding
- Improving your longboarding and The science of cross-stepping.
- Byron Bays surf spots, and the Pass being a world-class longboard wave.
- Balancing parenting and surfing and weighing up the decision to have a child
- How we can use to Ocean as a way to relax and decompress from busy lives
- Life hacks and the importance of knowing where your food comes from,
- Immersing yourself in nature and eating wild food
- Self Help and why we need to struggle
- Yoga, Breath and the power of Sunshine
Some of our favorite quotes from this episode.
“The best practice for cross stepping when longboard skateboarding, slacklining is really great for balance and core strength, and slowly moving one foot in front of the other, those are the basics.”
“There has to be discomfort if we're going to stretch ourselves if we're going to move past the inevitable blocks of depression anxiety feeling lost feeling disconnected and sorry to quote Oprah but she says if you want something you've never had you have to do something you've never done and you do and if we're going to keep ourselves healthy we have to get uncomfortable”
“There's a reason why we live here, and the pass is one of them it's one of the best longboarding waves in the world”
“We change physiologically when we enter ocean water, cool water in particular, it slows our heart rate down it changes all these responses in our body's and calms us and we can harness that as a way to decompress from busy lives”.
“We have this huge ocean to dive into and access calm and to be underwater to hold our breath, to literally dive under the surface chop and find literal or metaphorical calm beneath all the chaos”
“I have lived my life around on and underwater on purpose because the beach is the most medicinal, enlightening place for me.”
“just exploring that dance of moving forward and back it's really what longboarding is all about”.
“We really value flexibility both dave and I get time in the water almost every day and that's a real priority for us for each person to have time, be out of mind be out of human space and just be in our body's for a little while”
Lauren Lindnsey King (TheseaKin) Instagram
The Water People Podcast
Follow Ash Grunwald on Instagram here
Ash Grunwald Website/Show Dates
Earth Bottles - use promo code ASHLOVESME
Listen to Ash's latest album 'Mojo' here