Week 4: The Art of Diagnosis
This week, hosts Dr. Janelle S. Peifer Ph.D. and Brandon Kyle Goodman unpack what it’s like to see Dr. Brooke’s alcohol addiction affect her therapeutic practice. In Dr. Brooke’s fourth week, she stumbles her way through revealing a number of diagnoses which threaten to rupture some of her patient relationships. Our hosts talk through the tricky art of how and when to reveal a diagnosis to a patient and when formalizing a judgment is helpful or counterproductive. This podcast is produced by HBO in conjunction with Pineapple Street Studios. Learn more about your ad choices. Visit podcastchoices.com/adchoices
Here’s a list of resources mentioned in this week’s episode:
- Rethinking Narcissism: The Secret to Recognizing and Coping with Narcissists
- Black youth mental health
- Suicide prevention
- 1.800.662.HELP: SAMSHA National Helpline - mental health + substance use support and resources 24/7/365 (www.samhsa.gov/find-help/national-helpline)
- 1.800.273.8255: National Suicide Prevention Lifeline - suicide and crisis call and chat based support 24/7/365 (www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org)
- Signs of SI: https://afsp.org/risk-factors-protective-factors-and-warning-signs
- Black families, racial trauma
- Anderson, R. E. (2018). And still WE rise: Parent–child relationships, resilience, and school readiness in low-income urban Black families. Journal of Family Psychology, 32(1), 60.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.