What is good singing? Dr Irene Bartlett chats to vocal trainers Gillyanne & Jeremy about vocal health, technique & style
What is good singing? Singer and pedagogue Dr Irene Bartlett joins vocal trainers Gillyanne & Jeremy to talk about good singing, function and style.
It’s an honest conversation between vocal trainers separated by 10,000 miles but together in spirit.
- Is it divisive to separate classical, CCM and Musical Theatre music? Irene has a great one-sentence answer to this (2.40)
- Is there a difference between classical singing lessons and musical theatre singing lessons? How do classical singers react to their first heavy metal, or newbies react to their first opera? It’s a fascinating part of the conversation about vocal technique, sound output, performing environment and genre.
- What happens when you look at a spectrogram of a classical versus a contemporary singer? (5.36 onwards)
- What do a lot of acoustically trained singers get wrong about working with a mic? (8.10)
- And what does Irene do first in a singing lesson (that Gillyanne and Jeremy applaud her for)? (10.30)
- Which “standard” MT vocal technique does Gillyanne think needs a flight correction? (11.19)
- And why does Jeremy think your “vocal look” isn’t relevant in Musical Theatre but is relevant in CCM? (16.45)
Tune in to find out!
The 5 Days to Better Singing Teaching course online, with voice coaching techniques, vocal articulation exercises and a LOT more for the up-to-date singing teacher is here https://vocal-process-hub.teachable.com/p/5-days-to-better-singing-teaching
For the best self-guided learning check out the Vocal Process Learning Lounge - 16 years of vocal coaching resources (over 600 videos) for less than the price of one private singing lesson. Click and scroll down the page for the free previews
For real 1-1 attention on your own voice, book a voice coaching session in the singing studio with Jeremy or Gillyanne
If you want to discover if our singing teacher training programme works for YOU, message us - we can share the process for joining Cohort23.
Sign up for the Vocal Process newsletter https://vocalprocess.co.uk/build-your-own-tilting-larynx/
We've also got this! ↓
The Vocal Process Learning Lounge https://vocal-process-hub.teachable.com/
Find us - follow us on the socials!
🐦 Twitter - https://twitter.com/Vocalprocess
📸 Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/vocalprocess
📖 Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/vocalprocess