Why 10K Steps Won't Help You Live Longer
The push for you to reach 10K steps is actually diet culture marketing. What if less was more to live longer? David examines the origin, the myth, and the science around 10K steps. Plus, what actually helps. It’s all about less is more, one small bite.
Highlights of this episode:
- Origin of 10K Steps
- The Science of 10K Steps
- 10K Steps is #Fitspiration
- Misleading Health Apps and Tools
- Starting a Program Right for You
A Japanese company, Manpo-kei,” which translates to "10,000 steps meter," popularized the 10K steps through their pedometer product. Marketing probably advised that 10K was a nice big round number that would sound attractive and easy to remember. They weren't wrong.
Now, wellness programs and other companies jump on the band wagon for folks to reach 10K steps. Even healthcare providers make assumptions that the 10K steps is based on evidence and recommend that to their patients.
Depending on your foot and leg size and your stride, 10K steps is roughly around 5 miles.
David is not arguing that walking is not beneficial for those in able bodies to do so. For the trendy go-getter perfectionists out there, or for those who see this stuff and feel guilty about their own performance, this information may offer some relief.
The real question is - 10K steps helps what for who?
Where do I go from here?
- If you like this episode, then download the show wherever you listen to your podcasts at Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google, iHeartRadio, Castbox, etc!
- Hit that subscribe button so you won’t miss another episode.
- Big Ask: Leave a Review! Please, take a few minutes and leave me a review on your podcast app. Each review helps other listeners find the podcast, which provides me with the ability to continue bring you unique content. So spread the love. Loss for words? Just write what you like about the show.
- Share the show with friends.
- If you want to work with us, schedule an appointment or a free 15 minute discovery call. Explore our website and click Schedule an Appointment. Or, reach us by email email@example.com or phone 678-568-4717.
Once again, I greatly appreciate you for listening and supporting my show. Remember, it really only takes One Small Bite to start transforming your life.
Chop the diet mentality; Fuel Your Body; and Nourish Your Soul!