Why is Fat Bad? Let's Dismantle Fat-phobia!
Hola amigos! Welcome back!
Why do we fear fat? Consider how we admire animals who are fat and beautiful. Animals don’t try to lose weight and we admire them! So why is fat so bad for us? Spoiler alert, it’s not. It’s the fatphobia that is bad for us.
Highlights of this episode:
- the origins of fatphobia
- how fatphobia is affecting our health
- how fatphobia affects our relationship to food and eating
- new ways to dismantle fatphobia and pursue health
Happy New Year!
Early 20th century, slimness started to be promoted, not for medical reasons, but in fear of the black body. Dr. Sabrina Strings writes about the history of fatphobia, in her book, Fearing the Black Body: The Racial Origins of Fat Phobia. Our culture promotes one type of body as acceptable, leaving people who do not fit that description, out.
In a Scientific American article by Virginia Sole-Smith, she correctly pointed out that fatphobia is one bias that creates unaccounted for variables. David mentions that research can have a contagion affect, where researchers do not question existing data, and carries data over to support their own science. It’s science that does not question itself.
David rejects “obesity” and “overweight” because this does not define a person and contributes to fatphobia. This phobia is a vicarious form of stress. A fat person may not get the same treatment as a thin person in healthcare and this is wrong.
We are at the beginning of the year, which brings hope. What if we made small changes that were unstainable for life? Instead of, “I have to lose weight,” which puts us into an unstainable punish mode, why not try to find something you can do for life. Literally, the rest of your life.
Where do I go from here?
- If you like this episode, then download the show wherever you listen to your podcasts at Apple, Spotify, Stitcher, Google, iHeartRadio, Castbox, etc!
- Hit that subscribe button so you won’t miss another episode.
- Big Ask: Leave a Review! Please, take a few minutes and leave me a review on your podcast app. Each review helps other listeners find the podcast, which provides me with the ability to continue bring you unique content. So spread the love. Loss for words? Just write what you like about the show.
- Share the show with friends.
- If you want to work with us, schedule an appointment or a free 15 minute discovery call. Explore our website and click Schedule an Appointment. Or, reach us by email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 678-568-4717.
Once again, I greatly appreciate you for listening and supporting my show. Remember, it really only takes One Small Bite to start transforming your life.
Chop the diet mentality; Fuel Your Body; and Nourish Your Soul!