Why it’s time to join the Rebellion- Cormac Nugent, Extinction Rebellion
For episode 12 I asked Cormac Nugent for an interview on behalf of Extinction Rebellion Ireland. It's a long episode but you don't have to listen to it all in one go! Cormac has been with the group for a few months and hosts some of their public 'Heading for Extinction' talks. He knows an awful lot about the climate crisis situation and more importantly, what we need to do about. We cover a LOT in this episode so it's longer that usual but you won't notice the time going. We sure didn't!
Some of the highlights we talked about are:
- How Cormac became involved in Environmentalism.
- The Montreal Protocol: protecting the ozone.
- Who Extinction Rebellion are, their demands and values.
- Why they do disruptive actions.
- What The Climate Emergency the Irish government declared means for us and the climate emergency measures bill.
- A brief science of the climate crisis: previous extinctions, carbon absorption by the ocean, coral reefs, soil degradation.
- The temperature rise, why and how it happens, what needs to be done to stop it.
- Tree cover in Ireland and the problem with sitka spruce.
- Our carbon budget.
- What a just transition means.
- Electric cars Vs public transport.
- The top 3 causes of climate change.
- Erica Chenoweth’s studies including the 3.5% rule.
- Rebellion Week.
- What you have to do to risk arrest.
- Examples of affinity groups: Plant Bandits and The Bumble Bees.
- Advice for battling eco-anxiety.
How to get involved:
- Social Media Channels: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram.
- Joining your local group (or setting one up if there isn't one!).
- Via your College/University XR society. Again, you can set one up if there isn't one!
- By attending local Heading for Extinction talks, NVDA workshops and monthly meetings, all events are listed on their Facebook page here.
- Share XR's events and posts online and with your friends and family.
- Donate to their GoFundMe by clicking here.
- Join protests in person.
School-age students have self-organised marches around the country and they need you to attend.
- Dublin: Gathering 12:00 at Customs House, marching at 12:30 to Merrion Sq., rallying 13:00 - 14:00 at Merrion Sq. in front of Govt. buildings
- Cork City: Gathering on Grand Parade St. from 12:00, marching at 12:20.
- Kerry (Tralee): Meet at County Buildings, Ratass, at 9am
- Clare (Ennis): Meet at The Height, O’Connell Square at 9am
- Drogheda: Demonstrating from 13:00 outside St. Peters's Church, West St.
- Galway: Demonstrating from 13:00 - 16:00 in Eyre Square
- Navan: Demonstrating from 13:00 - 15:00 at the Market Square
- Limerick: Marching from Arthur's Quay Park at 13:00, finishing at City Hall.
- Dundalk: Demonstrating from 12:30 - 15:00 in the Market Square
- Kenmare: Demonstrating from 9:00 - 13:00 outside the Courthouse
- Dingle: 12pm at the Town Park email@example.com.
Other Causes to Suport: