Why raising kids and starting a business are similar; from jewelry mogul Dana Rebecca
In the age of highly-curated social media, where so many people are hellbent on showing perfection rather than reality, someone who is unafraid to speak their truth is refreshing. Dana Rebecca Gordon of Dana Rebecca Designs is known for keeping it honest on social media. Her hundreds of thousands of followers agree that showing up and sharing the small moments in life is appreciated. Dana is not only an entrepreneur; she is also a mom and all-around badass. In this episode, we talk about the challenges that come with being an entrepreneur. While it is great to be your own boss, it can often be a thankless job, and this aspect is often not openly discussed. Dana highlights the similarities between being a business owner and a mother and she shares why she thinks that the mainstream idea of balance does not actually exist. We also talk about the importance of modeling self-love for your children, given the pressures that come with social media. Dana grew up with a mother who loved her body and she acknowledges the impact it had on her. Naturally, we touch on the pandemic, and Dana talks about how, despite how difficult it has been, it has given her perspective both with her family and her business. She has shared special moments with her children and established connections with her community by talking about things that are usually off-limits. There is so much power in speaking your truth, and if you feel afraid to use your voice, our conversation with Dana will inspire you to move past that fear.
Key Points From This Episode:
• Get to know Dana, her background, and how she became a jewelry designer.
• The emphasis Dana’s father placed on education despite not going to school himself.
• Not enough people talk about the obstacles that come with being an entrepreneur.
• There is no such thing as balance; you have to accept that something will always give.
• The importance of taking things day-by-day rather than trying to do it all always.
• A big lesson that Dana learned from 2020; you have to learn to let it go!
• Similarities between being an entrepreneur and being a mom.
• Why Dana prefers to take things one day at a time rather than looking at the big picture.
• The thankless work of raising your teams and your children.
• Our actions leave such a big impression on our children.
• There are so many challenges that come with raising children in the age of social media.
• Ways the pandemic helped Dana to reset and think differently about her family and business.
• Why Dana has fallen in and out of love with her career multiple times.
• What Dana has learned from being real and speaking her truth on social media.
• Social media can distort our reality and disconnect us from the world around us.
• Dana Rebecca’s mission to make women feel special no matter their budget.
• What jewelry means to Dana; it’s not just the piece, it’s about the moment attached to it.
• Coming in at price point first: how this approach is shifting jewelry purchasing.
• What Dana would say to her daughters if they wanted to start their own business one day.
Support the show (https://paypal.me/momslowdown)