Winter is Coming. Are We Prepared? (with Katherine Wu)
As booster shots roll out across the country, Andy calls up Katherine Wu, who got a Ph.D. in microbiology and immunology before joining the stellar science writing staff at The Atlantic. They discuss what we know about how the boosters will work, what to expect during our upcoming second pandemic winter, and what the future of COVID looks like. Plus, how Katherine approaches effectively communicating about science in real time.
Keep up with Andy on Twitter @ASlavitt and Instagram @andyslavitt.
Follow Katherine @KatherineJWu on Twitter.
Joining Lemonada Premium is a great way to support our show and get bonus content. Subscribe today at bit.ly/lemonadapremium.
Support the show by checking out our sponsors!
- Click this link for a list of current sponsors and discount codes for this show and all Lemonada shows: https://lemonadamedia.com/sponsors/
- Throughout the pandemic, CVS Health has been there, bringing quality, affordable health care closer to home—so it’s never out of reach for anyone. Learn more at cvshealth.com.
Check out these resources from today’s episode:
- Watch President Biden get his booster shot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=188toSUMRNk
- Read all of Katherine’s articles in The Atlantic, including the one she co-wrote with Ed Yong about winter: https://www.theatlantic.com/author/katherine-j-wu/
- Here’s the CDC statement on ACIP booster recommendations: https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/p0924-booster-recommendations-.html
- Find a COVID-19 vaccine site near you: https://www.vaccines.gov/
- Order Andy’s book, Preventable: The Inside Story of How Leadership Failures, Politics, and Selfishness Doomed the U.S. Coronavirus Response: https://us.macmillan.com/books/9781250770165
Stay up to date with us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram at @LemonadaMedia.
For additional resources, information, and a transcript of the episode, visit lemonadamedia.com/show/inthebubble.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.