Working Too Many Hours
As we've talked about before, work/life balance will never be perfect.
AND there is a point where too much is too much.
We are not robots and can't be expected to go 100 MPH 24/7.
Two situations/reasons where we are working too many hours:
- Expectations we put on ourselves
- Expectations others set on us
Tips for when we set expectations for ourselves:
- Set boundaries
- Utilize timers
- Set a schedule and stick to it 80-90% of the time
- Dig down deep and establish / determine why you feel the need / pressure to put on yourself
- Schedule time away
- Make a self care list
- Make a local wish list
- Research and understand achievement vs. perfectionism vs. compulsion vs. obsessed
- Establish your why
- Accept and embrace and encourage your failures
- Prioritize ALL the things
- Exercise / movement
- Meditation / spiritual / religious practice
Tips for when others set expectations for us:
- Try to figure out if they put expectations on themselves that you are picking up
- Set boundaries
- Talk to your leader
- Can you add resources to the team
- Balance with exercise, movement, eating well, fun, self care, etc.
- Talk to HR or upper management if your leader can't help
- Evaluate if you're in the right place
- Put yourself first
Burn out isn't fun, feeling exhausted isn't fun.
Fuzzy brain is hard.
You need to take care of yourself. You deserve it!!
Signs you're working too much:
- Skipping meals / eating really bad
- No time with friends
- Not enough time with your partner and family
- Pets being neglected
- Missing key events
- Brain is fuzzy all the time
- Feel drained all the time
- Surviving on coffee / energy drinks
- Skipping exercise
- Not doing the fun things you're passionate about
- Feeling depressed or doubtful of your abilities
- Complete overwhelm
- Feeling like you're failing at everything
Tips for finding better work life balance - 6/27/2019
To support the show:
Online Store (you can get 15% off using code CAREERTALKPOD15):
For show notes go to:
To work together:
For the Google Survey:
We are written, produced, hosted and edited by Stephanie Dennis
Go be your amazing self today!!!
Send in a voice message: https://anchor.fm/careertalk/message