Xavier Aniton: Starting from the Bottom to Build Strong Team Culture
#028 - Xavier Aniton is an 8-year rower, who served as team captain at both Shaker Heights High School in Ohio and Jacksonville University in Florida.
In this episode, we talked about:
- Saying no to basketball and yes to rowing [1:35 ]
- Building a strong team culture on a boys high school team [7:23 ]
- Juggling rowing and academics in the role of a student-athlete [19:33 ]
- Did support differ when coming from a more demographically diverse team than from a less diverse team? [28:56 ]
- “Do you feel like your team was treated any differently because of who you were or how you looked?” [34:25 ]
- Advice for younger rowers of color [38:59 ]
… and much more.
To get in touch with Xavier, please reach him on Instagram @xaniton2024
We hope that the conversation in this podcast helps us all in the rowing world -- no matter your race -- to unify the rowing sport through diversity.
If you have a response to this or any episode, we want to hear it. Send us your voice message at www.speakpipe.com/rowingincolor or just check out our Linktree (linktr.ee/rowingincolor). If you don't follow us on IG already, find us @rowingincolor.
Lastly, if you can, please hit "follow" or "subscribe" wherever you listen to podcasts. If you can, please leave a rating and a review on Apple Podcast -- it would really mean a lot.
We hope you and yours are well. Stay safe.