101: Windows Virtual Desktop with Travis Roberts
In this episode we're catching up with Travis Roberts to chat about all things Windows Virtual Desktop, Azure, and a lot more.
In part due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, 2020 saw the use of Windows Virtual Desktop soar. Many companies are in the process of switching their networks over to the Cloud. Mike’s guest today is Travis Roberts, the Senior Networking Systems Administrator at RBA Consulting. Travis has a background of working in corporate IT for over 20 years, but he made a switch when he realized he wanted to focus less on management and more on consulting. He has lots of experience with Windows Virtual Desktop (and more) and creates content online to help others learn how to better utilize this technology.
In this episode, we talk about…
- Travis’s background, how he got into consulting, and what the transition was like coming to that from corporate jobs.
- How Azure has been ramping up and is currently neck and neck with AWS.
- Why, at this point, most Systems Administrators are essentially Cloud Developers, as well.
- How you have to think a bit differently when using ARM templates and PowerShell.
- Why moving to the Cloud can save a business a lot of overhead expenses.
- The mindset shift involved in maintaining a server rack with manual switches and buttons, versus working within Azure.
- Why setting up a virtual network within Windows Virtual Desktop is so much faster than the traditional means.
- Why you need to continuously learn given the way technology is shifting now -and how if you learn it sooner, you can help others as they shift to the Cloud during the next decade.
- How building a brand can help you, and if you’re interested, you should start writing a blog or making Youtube videos.
- The importance of Source Control and how Travis has been using Github.
- The switch from using JSON to using HCL.
- How Travis has been seeing that he’s been needing to learn more about Continuous Integration.
Resources from this episode: