#37 - Lean Inception & Fun Retrospectives - Paulo Caroli
“Lean Inception is about aligning a group of people to be successful. It’s about aligning the vision and the MVP from three different angles: the business, the users, and the engineers, so they align and decide what is the very first step."
Paulo Caroli is a Principal consultant at Thoughtworks, co-founder of Agile Brazil, and the author of the best-seller Lean Inception and the recent FunRetrospectives. In this episode, Paulo shared in-depth with me about Lean Inception, its connection with Lean Startup movement, the similarities and differences with Design Sprint, how to create a good product vision, MVP canvas, and also the importance of shifting our mindset from project to product. In the second half of our conversation, Paulo shared his latest contribution, FunRetrospectives, which brings together many techniques to conduct effective retrospectives. He explained the reasoning behind the fun techniques, shared some of those fun activities, and also emphasized the importance of psychological safety and facilitation skills in a retrospective.
Listen out for:
- Career Journey - [00:05:43 ]
- Lean Inception - [00:08:35 ]
- Lean Inception and Design Sprint - [00:14:06 ]
- Lean Inception Frequency - [00:17:18 ]
- Lean Inception Agenda - [00:20:33 ]
- Product Vision - [00:29:41 ]
- MVP Canvas - [00:33:50 ]
- Fun Retrospectives - [00:38:44 ]
- Retrospective Celebration Activities - [00:41:28 ]
- Lightweight Environment - [00:44:52 ]
- Retrospective Check-in - [00:48:29 ]
- Facilitation Skills - [00:50:24 ]
- 3 Tech Lead Wisdom - [00:52:47 ]
Paulo Caroli’s Bio
Paulo Caroli is the author of the best-seller Lean Inception: how to align people and build the right product. His most recent contribution is FunRetrospectives, which brings together numerous techniques to conduct effective retrospectives. As a principal consultant at ThoughtWorks, he helped transform dozens of organisations worldwide.
- Website – https://www.caroli.org/en/
- Twitter – https://twitter.com/paulocaroli
- LinkedIn – https://www.linkedin.com/in/paulocaroli/
- FunRetrospectives – https://www.funretrospectives.com/
Are you looking for a new cool swag?
Tech Lead Journal now offers you some swags that you can purchase online.
These swags are printed on-demand based on your preference, and will be delivered safely to you all over the world where shipping is available.
Check out all the cool swags by visiting https://techleadjournal.dev/shop.
Like this episode?
Subscribe on your favorite podcast app and submit your feedback.
Follow @techleadjournal on LinkedIn, Twitter, and Instagram.
Pledge your support by becoming a patron.
For more info about the episode (including quotes and transcript), visit techleadjournal.dev/episodes/37.