#43 - The SPACE of Developer Productivity and New Future of Work - Dr. Jenna Butler
“Hybrid work is here to stay. It is going to continue. But we want to make sure that it comes in a way that’s equitable and everyone gets to experience the benefits of it."
Dr. Jenna Butler is a Visiting Research Fellow at Microsoft Research in the Productivity and Intelligence Team. She is also an adjunct Professor at Bellevue College in radiation therapy. In this episode, Dr. Jenna shared about the SPACE of developer productivity framework and how developer teams can use the 5 dimensions to measure and increase productivity. Dr. Jenna also shared about the New Future of Work research by Microsoft, especially on the impact of working from home on people and their well-being. Towards the end, Dr. Jenna also mentioned some predictions of the new future of work post COVID-19, that includes some of the upcoming and exciting tools and the potential societal impact of this new work environment.
Listen out for:
- Career Journey - [00:04:54 ]
- SPACE of Developer Productivity - [00:10:06 ]
- S = Satisfaction and Well-being - [00:13:48 ]
- P = Performance - [00:17:45 ]
- A = Activity - [00:19:53 ]
- C = Communication and Collaboration - [00:21:50 ]
- E = Efficiency and Flow - [00:27:11 ]
- New Future of Work - [00:31:26 ]
- Emotional Aspect of WFH - [00:35:52 ]
- Remote Work Meetings - [00:40:00 ]
- Impact of WFH to Well-being - [00:44:52 ]
- The New Future of Work Predictions - [00:49:08 ]
- 3 Tech Lead Wisdom - [00:53:17 ]
Dr. Jenna’s Bio
Dr. Jenna Butler is a Senior Software Engineer who is currently doing a Research Fellowship with Microsoft Research in the Productivity and Intelligence Team. She received her PhD in Computer Science from Western University in Canada in 2015. Her work examined cancer simulation using cellular automata with a focus on the hallmarks of cancer and combination therapy. She has always been interested in interdisciplinary studies and the intersection of different fields such as biology and computer science, social science, technology. Currently, she is focusing on developer productivity, specifically on the human element in software engineering. She is interested in individual and team well-being, decision making within an organization, relationships between engineering disciplines, and diversity in engineering organizations.
Follow Dr. Jenna:
- LinkedIn – https://www.linkedin.com/in/dr-jenna-butler-44209a3b/
- Website – https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/people/jennbu/
- Researchgate – https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jenna-Butler-6
- Email – email@example.com
Are you looking for a new cool swag?
Tech Lead Journal now offers you some swags that you can purchase online.
These swags are printed on-demand based on your preference, and will be delivered safely to you all over the world where shipping is available.
Check out all the cool swags by visiting https://techleadjournal.dev/shop.
Like this episode?
Subscribe on your favorite podcast app and submit your feedback.
Follow @techleadjournal on LinkedIn, Twitter, and Instagram.
Pledge your support by becoming a patron.
For more info about the episode (including quotes and transcript), visit techleadjournal.dev/episodes/43.