#47 - Micro-Frontends and the Socio-Technical Aspect - Luca Mezzalira
“Micro-frontends are representations of business subdomains. We should differentiate them from components, because components are solving technical problems. Micro-frontends are looking from the product side on how you can create value in isolation for your users."
Luca Mezzalira is a Principal Architect at AWS, an expert on micro-frontends, and the author of the upcoming “Building Micro-Frontends” book. In this episode, Luca described the concept of micro-frontends in-depth, along with the where and when companies should apply this concept for building the frontends. Luca also shared about the principles behind micro-frontends, why it is important to be technology agnostic, and how to design the CI/CD pipelines. Luca also mentioned some of the common pitfalls and anti-patterns that we should avoid when using micro-frontends, as well as sharing his tips on how organisations can start adopting micro-frontends in their architecture.
Listen out for:
- Career Journey - [00:04:41 ]
- Micro-Frontends - [00:11:11 ]
- Where to Apply Micro-Frontends - [00:14:18 ]
- Team Structure - [00:16:08 ]
- When to Consider Micro-Frontends - [00:18:34 ]
- Examples of Apps Using Micro-Frontends - [00:23:01 ]
- Micro-Frontends Principles - [00:24:33 ]
- Technology Agnostic Micro-Frontends - [00:27:21 ]
- Application Shell Concept - [00:30:19 ]
- Micro-Frontends CI/CD - [00:33:42 ]
- Micro-Frontends Anti-Patterns - [00:36:22 ]
- Starting with Micro-Frontends Tips - [00:40:43 ]
- “Building Micro-Frontends” Book - [00:43:30 ]
- 3 Tech Lead Wisdom - [00:46:54 ]
Luca Mezzalira’s Bio
Working in the industry since 2004, Luca have lent his expertise predominantly in the field of solution architecture. After helping DAZN becoming a global streaming platform in just 5 years, Luca is now working as a Principal Architect at AWS, helping customers in the media and entertainment space to deliver cost-effective and scalable cloud solutions. He has gained accolades for revolutionising the scalability of frontend acrhitectures with micro-frontends, from increasing the efficiency of workflows to delivering quality in products. Known as an excellent communicator who believes in using an interactive approach for understanding and solving problems of varied scopes, Luca often shares with the community the best practices to develop cloud-native architectures to solve technical and organisational challenges.
- Twitter – https://twitter.com/lucamezzalira
- LinkedIn – https://www.linkedin.com/in/lucamezzalira
- Website – https://lucamezzalira.com/
- “Building Micro-Frontends” book – https://www.buildingmicrofrontends.com/
- Micro-Frontends Tips – https://buildingmfe.com/
Are you looking for a new cool swag?
Tech Lead Journal now offers you some swags that you can purchase online.
These swags are printed on-demand based on your preference, and will be delivered safely to you all over the world where shipping is available.
Check out all the cool swags by visiting https://techleadjournal.dev/shop.
Like this episode?
Subscribe on your favorite podcast app and submit your feedback.
Follow @techleadjournal on LinkedIn, Twitter, and Instagram.
Pledge your support by becoming a patron.
For more info about the episode (including quotes and transcript), visit techleadjournal.dev/episodes/47.