#6 - Becoming a Tech Influencer Through Storytelling - Stephanie Wong
“The thing about becoming a Tech Influencer is, content is Queen and consistency, quality and value matter. That’s the trifecta of creating content that sticks."
In this episode, I had a fun conversation with Stephanie Wong, a Developer Advocate from Google Cloud. Stephanie is well known for her online developer contents ranging from YouTube videos, podcast and blog posts. She also hosts her own YouTube channel called “Steph You Should Know” where she talks about career, tech and productivity tips. Stephanie shared her story on how she started in technology even without technology education background and what led her to her current role. She also shared great tips on public speaking, storytelling, building a personal brand, and CV writing. She also gave her view on how to empower women to thrive in technology and dealing with imposter syndrome.
Listen out for:
- Stephanie’s career journey and how she started in tech - [00:03:31 ]
- What DevRel is - [00:08:29 ]
- How to be a good Tech Influencer - [00:16:04 ]
- Tips on public speaking - [00:21:04 ]
- Importance of storytelling - [00:25:23 ]
- Tips on career advice and personal branding - [00:29:43 ]
- Women in technology and imposter syndrome - [00:33:28 ]
- Interesting DevRel experience - [00:40:29 ]
- Stephanie’s 3 Tech Lead Wisdom - [00:42:18 ]
Stephanie Wong’s Bio
Stephanie Wong is a speaker, writer, and architect with a mission to blend storytelling and technology to create remarkable online developer content. She is the creator of the Google Cloud Youtube series Networking End-to-End, Kubeflow 101, and Eyes on Enterprise, and the host of Google’s Next onAir broadcast. Before Google she helped businesses implement cloud technologies at Oracle. Born and raised in San Francisco, Stephanie’s active in her community, supporting women in tech and mentoring students. She hosts her own Youtube Channel called “Steph You Should Know” where you’ll find career, tech, and productivity tips and advice. She’s a former pageant queen, Hip Hop dance gold medalist, and has an unhealthy obsession with dogs.
- Twitter – https://twitter.com/swongful
- LinkedIn – https://www.linkedin.com/in/swongful/
- Medium – https://medium.com/@swongful
- Website – https://www.stephrwong.com/
Are you a startup in software development which is less than 5 years old?
If yes, our sponsor at JetBrains has a 50% startup discount offer which allows Startups to purchase multiple products and subscriptions for up to 10 unique licenses over a period of months.
To find out more, go to https://www.jetbrains.com/store/startups.
Like this episode?
Subscribe on your favorite podcast app and submit your feedback.
Follow @techleadjournal on LinkedIn, Twitter, and Instagram.
Pledge your support by becoming a patron.
For more info about the episode (including quotes and transcript), visit techleadjournal.dev/episodes/6.