A Discovery of Witches - A Chat (feat. Jane Tranter)
Jane Tranter, co-founder of Bad Wolf Productions, and the British super-producer behind the likes of “His Dark Materials,” “The Night Of,” “Succession,” and (listed last, but certainly NOT regarded least) “A Discovery of Witches,” agreed to a sit-down with us; we discussed all sorts of things regarding the production of ADOW Season 2. From the challenges related to COVID-19, to her overall vision for the series, we covered a lot of ground. Yes ... we even asked her to drop hints about Season 3. SHE DID!
Recorded on the 10th of March, 2021
Full show notes: http://go.DaemonsDiscuss.com/JaneTranter
In this episode:
By the question/topic . . .
- (01:39 ) How did COVID affect the finishing of season two and working on season three?
- (13:40 ) Why A Discovery of Witches? You personally have been attached to this project for longer than Bad Wolf has been in existence. What is it about these books for you?
- (19:41 ) How different was it attracting talent for season two versus season one?
- (26:22 ) How do you decide what the shape of your story is?
- (30:43 ) What is the process of going from book to script to screen?
- (37:45 ) Do you have a favorite adaptation choice in this story?
- (41:00 ) Reasons for the adaption choice of Kit Marlowe's scene w/ Diana in episode 1 (S2).
- (43:43 ) The elevation of female voices in the writer's room.
- (44:56 ) Hints for Season 3?
- (48:40 ) Advice from 2021 Jane to 2017 Jane.
- (52:01 ) Fandom reactions to Jane's various adaptations over time/how she perceives fandom acceptance/rejection over different choices.
- (54:14 ) Is there a dream project? A book for a future adaptation?
- (54:37 ) What's on Jane's nightstand right now?
- (58:22 ) Promo break - scroll down, or click here to get a hold of us and/or become a Discusser -- information on joining our Facebook group also located on that page.
- (59:52 ) Last thoughts/Outro.
- Season 2 Shout Out! -- tell us your thoughts on this episode, the actors, the sets, or the series as a whole! It's up to you!
- Bad Wolf Website
- Follow Bad Wolf on Twitter - @BadWolf_TV
- A Discovery of Witches S3 trailer
- Filming Locations for A Discovery of Witches
- His Dark Materials
- Comet Weather by Liz Williams
- Our All Souls Series chapter reviews so far
- Our A Discovery of Witches episode reviews (S1, S2)
- Deborah Harkness
- Join us on Patreon (as little as $2 monthly will gain you access to extra episodes + different level incentives for those who join at higher tiers!)
- A Discovery of Witches TV News info (Continually updated; scenes, sets, trailer video, official photographs, casting + more)
- Become a Discusser (contact info located there as well)
- Email us directly: DaemonsDiscuss@gmail.com
- Call & Leave a voicemail! 1 (360) 519-7836 or hit us up on SpeakPipe
- Our Podcast Page: DaemonsDiscuss.com
- Our Main Site: DaemonsDomain.com
- Social Media: Twitter - @DaemonsDiscuss, Facebook - Daemons Discuss & Instagram - @daemonsdiscuss
- To join our private, listener-only Facebook group, apply here: Join Daemonic Discussers The "word" is "F*cking Firedrake"
- To see/hear all of our chapter reviews, check out this list: Chapter Review Episodes
- TV show reviews? Go here: A Discovery of Witches TV Reviews
- To check out all of our episodes go here: Daemons Discuss! Full Episode List
- Get your Daemon merch here: go.DaemonsDiscuss.com/shop -- and for 2020, our enamel FTSIO pins (+ masks and T-shirts) can be found here: go.DaemonsDiscuss.com/FTSIO2020
*DISCLAIMER: Daemons Discuss! (by extension, Daemons Domain) is independent, non-profit, and is not affiliated with BadWolf, SkyOne, NowTV, SundanceNow, Shudder or any of the production/broadcast entities associated with A Discovery of Witches. All audio clips from the show/soundtrack during our episode reviews are used strictly for commentary; categorically, according to U.S. copyright law, this method falls under Fair Use.
* Intro music: "Ghost Dance" (edited down to second chorus) by Kevin Macleod, licensed for use by Creative Commons.
* Outro music: Rimsky-Korsakov - "Scheherazade Symphonic Suite for Orchestra Op.35 - IV. Allegro molto," Public domain/copyright-free.
* All other music used is licensed via several different royalty-free sources (as are sound effects).
* "Save it for the Show" segment introduction voice-over by Devyn Grendell
* Cover art (+ all variations associated w/ it): © Daemons Domain
* The Daemons Discuss podcast is hosted and produced by the owners (Angela, Jean and Valerie) of Daemons Domain and can also be found by entering the url http://www.DaemonsDiscuss.com