Basecamp | Hiring | How to have a calm company
This week Jon and Justin discussed:
- Note: we recorded this before Casey Newton's second article on Basecamp came out.
- Also: this article is a really thoughtful take on the whole situation.
- Ruby/Rails open source world.
- SO EXCITED: HELEN IS ON THE TEAM! 🎉
- Cost/benefit analysis
- It’s really difficult to make that calculation: should we commit to this? How do we know that the cost will be worth the benefit?
- For example, we could invest $100k + 6 months of time into building a mobile app for private podcasts, under the assumption that it will increase the number of private podcast customers we get. But what you don’t see is:
- How much time + energy does it really take to build it?
- Does it attract the wrong customers?
- How much time + energy does it take to support it?
- How does it affect the fun + calm of running the app?
- Is all that effort really worth it?
- Apple’s latest release is bad
- So many bugs from Apple: https://transistor.fm/apple-podcasts-problem/
- One bug in Spotify: https://transistor.fm/spotify-bug/
What should we talk about next?
- Twitter: @buildyoursaas, @mijustin, @jonbuda
Leave a comment on PodHunt; it's like Reddit, but for podcasts.
- Email us: email@example.com
Thanks to our monthly supporters:
- Harris Kenny, Intro CRM podcast
- Oleg Kulyk
- Violette Du Geneville
- Take It EV podcast
- Ethan Gunderson
- Chris Willow
- Borja Soler
- Ward Sandler
- Eric Lima
- James Sowers (like Flowers)
- Travis Fischer
- Matt Buckley
- Russell Brown
- Evandro Sasse
- Pradyumna Shembekar (PD)
- Noah Prail
- Colin Gray
- Josh Smith
- Ivan Curkovic
- Shane Smith
- Austin Loveless
- Simon Bennett
- Michael Sitver
- Paul Jarvis and Jack Ellis,
- Dan Buda
- Darby Frey
- Samori Augusto
- Dave Young
- Brad from Canada
- Sammy Schuckert
- Mike Walker
- Adam DuVander
- Dave Giunta (JOOnta)
- Kyle Fox GetRewardful.com
Download from Google Play
Download from App Store