Ep 136: How helpful is too helpful?
When do you offer students help and what kinds of help do you offer? In this episode Pam and Kim discuss the balance of what kinds of help to give students and also where to find just the right help as teachers.
- Encouragement alone isn't enough help
- Modeling thinking doesn't mean to take over the thinking
- Funneling vs focusing patterns of questioning
- Does your help create mathematicians or learned helplessness?
- Teachers also need just the right amount and kind of help
Registration for our workshops and Journey is now open! Find what help is best for you at https://www.mathisfigureoutable.com/workshops
See also Episode 113 for more discussion about helping students.
Check out our social media
Instagram: Pam Harris_math
Facebook: Pam Harris, author, mathematics education